Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

I want to go, i cant really go, start a new job which possibly starts July 1st, currently unemployed so finances stretched and as i dont live near sheffield id need travel, AND possibly accomodation as well as the £90 (which i don think is that bad tbh considering over 70 acts (apparently) to pay aswell as the other costs associated)

Id love to go purely for John Shuttleworth, Pregnant Everly Brothers, De La Soul, AND ive heard one of my favourite UK82 punk bands Mau Maus are playing after reforming so.....

We love John Shuttleworth, as well as in thi area, we saw him one year at the Edinburgh fringe. There you can book individual shows. Suits us better than a festival. Good luck with your new job Mel :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We love John Shuttleworth, as well as in thi area, we saw him one year at the Edinburgh fringe. There you can book individual shows. Suits us better than a festival. Good luck with your new job Mel :thumbsup::thumbsup:

cheers Ms, not seen him live, theres been a lot of related John Shuttleworth and Jilted John reissues on a punk label i buy from http://bosstuneage.bigcartel.com/ also his new cd is out on there under his real name

quite right the bars have benefited for years and apart from security had to put no extra outlay on some even put up their prices fro the weekend, it only right that Tramlines protect their investment and take action against bars/pubs using their copyright to make money.

if your friend is furious he can pay something towards Tramlines overall running costs thereby ensuring the festival continues.

It could be argued that the success of Tramlines in general has been due to venues being willing to put on entire days of live music for free in the past, and that now the name has been established a big company has come and bought and wants no local businesses to have a good weekends earning from it.

I can't quite see why they even care - a few small venues in town is no real competition to the big Tramlines event at Hillsborough. People are certainly not driven away from buying tickets by a few local bands playing in a pub...

It could be argued that the success of Tramlines in general has been due to venues being willing to put on entire days of live music for free in the past, and that now the name has been established a big company has come and bought and wants no local businesses to have a good weekends earning from it.

I can't quite see why they even care - a few small venues in town is no real competition to the big Tramlines event at Hillsborough. People are certainly not driven away from buying tickets by a few local bands playing in a pub...

maybe so but its copyright, try starting a festival with Apple branding, see how far you get

maybe so but its copyright, try starting a festival with Apple branding, see how far you get

It's never been a copyright issues previously though, so you can see why bars/venues might be a little annoyed that all of a sudden they are expected to say and do certain things, controlled by others.

My personal view is that they should all band together and rename their weekend as something different, and do things their own way.

It's never been a copyright issues previously though, so you can see why bars/venues might be a little annoyed that all of a sudden they are expected to say and do certain things, controlled by others.

My personal view is that they should all band together and rename their weekend as something different, and do things their own way.

the name is the brand, is it just this year its changed owners and location then? as in that case thats why its a sudden change in the way of doing things?

the name is the brand, is it just this year its changed owners and location then? as in that case thats why its a sudden change in the way of doing things?

Yeah - moved to Hillsborough park for this year. Shortly after the move was approved it was bought out by a national company, who put on events across the country, so really it has no local ties anymore.

Yeah - moved to Hillsborough park for this year. Shortly after the move was approved it was bought out by a national company, who put on events across the country, so really it has no local ties anymore.

shows its successful and the brand has got well known, it will still bring visitors to sheffield tho who WILL pump money into the whole local economy.

shows its successful and the brand has got well known, it will still bring visitors to sheffield tho who WILL pump money into the whole local economy.

True - although the organisers are of course trying to contain this spend to their enclosure now, so it won't be as pronounced. People kept 'captive' in Hillsborough park for three days and nights aren't spending much in Sheffield as a whole. Everything they eat and drink goes right back to the organisers, at prices they control.

Hence the attractiveness of the move to a 'one site' venue in Hillsborough to a commercial buyer.

True - although the organisers are of course trying to contain this spend to their enclosure now, so it won't be as pronounced. People kept 'captive' in Hillsborough park for three days and nights aren't spending much in Sheffield as a whole. Everything they eat and drink goes right back to the organisers, at prices they control.

Hence the attractiveness of the move to a 'one site' venue in Hillsborough to a commercial buyer.

they still spend around it, not just in

they still spend around it, not just in

Possibly - but it's seriously reduced by people all being in one place, all the time. Most of their expenditure is on site, whereas previously it was spread around.

Two bands (High Hazels and Neon Waltz) that I would very much like to see are playing at the 'main event' in Hillsborough. I've paid for admission at 'normal' venues to watch both these bands many many times but will not be watching them at Tramlines.

The amount of time spent getting to and from Hillsborough (and through security there) would mean missing so many interesting new bands playing at the 'Fringe' events in town.