Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

You could go to Tramlines this year? Not sold out!

I want to go, i cant really go, start a new job which possibly starts July 1st, currently unemployed so finances stretched and as i dont live near sheffield id need travel, AND possibly accomodation as well as the £90 (which i don think is that bad tbh considering over 70 acts (apparently) to pay aswell as the other costs associated)

Id love to go purely for John Shuttleworth, Pregnant Everly Brothers, De La Soul, AND ive heard one of my favourite UK82 punk bands Mau Maus are playing after reforming so.....

Guest makapaka
They're of big interest to other businesses in the City who received a certain notification.....that we aren't allowed to post on here as yet, for unspecified reasons.

They're also of interest to those who heard rumours the buyout was not being announced until approval of the move to Hillsborough had been granted, as the approval was far more likely to succeed on the basis of the event being run by a local company. The buyout then happened, as rumoured.

All the above are of a lot of interest to a lot of people, whether they choose to attend or not.

That says they’re of interest but not why - what is the issue your interested in?

That says they’re of interest but not why - what is the issue your interested in?

My issue is with the threat to the licenses of premises in the city who dare to use the Tramlines branding, and the hoops they have to jump through this year in order to be able to use the tagline "The Fringe At Tramlines".

Like I said the other day, a friend of mine who runs a bar is absolutely furious.

Huh? All of the above matters are interesting to me, and to others, quite clearly. Hence the fact there is a thread of people discussing the issues!

Guest makapaka
Huh? All of the above matters are interesting to me, and to others, quite clearly. Hence the fact there is a thread of people discussing the issues!

Ok - you seen to be suggesting something untoward is happening - what?

My issue is with the threat to the licenses of premises in the city who dare to use the Tramlines branding, and the hoops they have to jump through this year in order to be able to use the tagline "The Fringe At Tramlines".

Like I said the other day, a friend of mine who runs a bar is absolutely furious.

Erm, why would they expect to use someone else's brand and profit from their work and investment without paying for it?

This was the problem I suspect with Tramlines and other similar events - venues not willing to contribute, just going along for a free ride and making shed loads of money on the back of what someone else is doing.

All these bars using the Tramlines name and logo to promote the fact they've put a band on the same weekend as the festival, not paid any money for the marketing, infrastructure, organisation etc, just opened their doors and welcomed in the visitors someone else has attracted.

Edited by Andy C

Erm, why would they expect to use someone else's brand and profit from their work and investment without paying for it?

This was the problem I suspect with Tramlines and other similar events - venues not willing to contribute, just going along for a free ride and making shed loads of money on the back of what someone else is doing.

All these bars using the Tramlines name and logo to promote the fact they've put a band on the same weekend as the festival, not paid any money for the marketing, infrastructure, organisation etc, just opened their doors and welcomed in the visitors someone else has attracted.

Absolutely nothing stopping them all getting together and using a different name. I'm surprised they don't given the event is well established.

Guest makapaka
Absolutely nothing stopping them all getting together and using a different name. I'm surprised they don't given the event is well established.

I agree with Andy C here though - there’s nothing stopping them using a different name you’re right - and if they want to use the tramlines event then it’s not unreasonable for them to have to involve tramlines themselves.

"Town and city festivals happen a lot abroad but in the UK it's only just starting to happen. A lot of festivals, sadly, are put on for financial gain but Tramlines looks like it's really something to get the community together and I think that's fantastic."

"It costs 24p per person in the city. When you think we're going to have a great urban Glastonbury and thousands of people can come free of charge and enjoy music, celebrate and have a great time… it's money well spent and Sheffield does benefit.

"There's the national exposure, fun on the streets, a feeling of friendliness... It gives a great buzz to the city, gets us recognised internationally and allows talented local people to showcase what they're made of."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8848000/8848813.stm

quite right the bars have benefited for years and apart from security had to put no extra outlay on some even put up their prices fro the weekend, it only right that Tramlines protect their investment and take action against bars/pubs using their copyright to make money.

if your friend is furious he can pay something towards Tramlines overall running costs thereby ensuring the festival continues.

quite right the bars have benefited for years and apart from security had to put no extra outlay on some even put up their prices fro the weekend, it only right that Tramlines protect their investment and take action against bars/pubs using their copyright to make money.

if your friend is furious he can pay something towards Tramlines overall running costs thereby ensuring the festival continues.

Oh that's fair enough, it's the veiled threat to licenses in the email he isn't happy with.

When it was free and the bars near Dev Green were raking it in, they were asked to contribute and refused. They used to be given money to book acts. They made thousands by doing nothing but being in the right place.