Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

Guest makapaka
I'm sure the residents around the Ponderosa had something to say in the previous years, and I'm sure the residents in West One had some strong views too.

I feel for those that live close to the park, I don't know if the council should provide them some compensation for inconvenience and noise. My friend is from Pilton in Somerset right next to the Glastonbury festival site and all the residents are provided parking access and free complimentary tickets for the weekend. I think tramlines should do the same for those on streets immediately affected.

I also think that moving it to Hillsborough will probably kill it off, one of the attractions has been being able to walk up through town and go to the bars. I think they will have real trouble convincing people to come out to Hillsborough on a tram when they have already travelled into the city from wherever they have started (a LOT of people come in from the surrounding towns) and back again. Even if you get the blue tram from the station then it will only get you to Hillsborough corner and will take you 24ish minutes each way.

They'd need a really big act to convince me to pay for a ticket. I'll be sticking to the bars in town that weekend.

On a different note the grassed areas of the park will need some serious work afterwards as well as it's quite waterlogged most of the year from the run off from the moors, remember it was only a couple of years ago penistone roadd flooded out because of a sustained rain.

It's not really an inconvenience is it?

Free tickets whatever.

I'm sure the residents around the Ponderosa had something to say in the previous years, and I'm sure the residents in West One had some strong views too.

I feel for those that live close to the park, I don't know if the council should provide them some compensation for inconvenience and noise. My friend is from Pilton in Somerset right next to the Glastonbury festival site and all the residents are provided parking access and free complimentary tickets for the weekend. I think tramlines should do the same for those on streets immediately affected.

On a different note the grassed areas of the park will need some serious work afterwards as well as it's quite waterlogged most of the year from the run off from the moors, remember it was only a couple of years ago penistone roadd flooded out because of a sustained rain.

Waterlogged park, other that when flash floods occur which are pretty much unavoidable, it's been down to blocked drainage prior to this year, they hadnt been cleared for years, also the fact the the main large pond has been leaking from a breach in the concrete, the main breach has been repaired during this summer and a smaller one was detected, so will need to be addressed.

The last major incident 2 years ago was a burst main on penistone road, heavy rain has at times affected the lowest points of the park, it tends to dissipates fairly quickly.

As for parking and free tickets, I'm sure those will be part of discussions within the working groups being setup, at the meeting tickets by ballot was mentioned.

Hillsborough park needs work all year round, a lot of money comes from from events, no doubt it helps with that cost and its daily running and maintenance.

Edited by steve68

so after whats being said why not use Norfolk park?,i have nothing against hillsbrough,but just think its to far from rail,bus,coach stations,to far from endcliffe

the other main parts of the whole event,i don't dislike the event I go most years to the peace gardens with its great reggae and ska music,why not use botanical gardens they have had big music events,not sure its big enough for for event this size though thanks.

so after whats being said why not use Norfolk park?,i have nothing against hillsbrough,but just think its to far from rail,bus,coach stations,to far from endcliffe

the other main parts of the whole event,i don't dislike the event I go most years to the peace gardens with its great reggae and ska music,why not use botanical gardens they have had big music events,not sure its big enough for for event this size though thanks.

lol.......You mean what's being said by a handful of people mainly you!

Care to summarise?

Norfolk Park is about a 45min walk from Division Street.

Hillsborough is a 10min tram ride.

Norfolk Park is about a 45min walk from Division Street.

Hillsborough is a 10min tram ride.

About 15 minutes to Hillsborough park from West Street, however most/a lot will be coming from the train station.. so maybe stagecoach will need to alter the service that day so that station trams can go direct to Hillsborough park.

You can't do West Street direct to park Grange (stop near Norfolk Park), but if for the event they did then about the same.

I think some of the people who have replied to my message have taken it that I'm against it coming to Hillsborough.. I'm not. But I do have some concerns that I have outlined earlier.

About 15 minutes to Hillsborough park from West Street, however most/a lot will be coming from the train station.. so maybe stagecoach will need to alter the service that day so that station trams can go direct to Hillsborough park.

You can't do West Street direct to park Grange (stop near Norfolk Park), but if for the event they did then about the same.

I think some of the people who have replied to my message have taken it that I'm against it coming to Hillsborough.. I'm not. But I do have some concerns that I have outlined earlier.

i think it inevitable that they will alter the trams to accomodate this just as they do at christmas and also when large events are on at the arena ( disney on ice etc)

as for norfolk park its not that ideal to get to from the tram you either have to walk up hill to or through the estate to get in from the top and its ok if you know the area but not many do i even thought ponderosa was a bit dodgy to get to with variuos underpasses etc.

Not been funny but the people what live near Ponderosa are likely to be more downtrodden and ‘lower class’ than people what live in Hillsborough. I think that’s a potential issue perhaps?

Guest makapaka
Not been funny but the people what live near Ponderosa are likely to be more downtrodden and ‘lower class’ than people what live in Hillsborough. I think that’s a potential issue perhaps?

1/10 for that one.

1/10 for that one.

Serious point. What I mean is that people in S6 is more likely to be house owning family types who are more probably going to 'get together' and 'mobilise' against proposals they don't agree with. People near Ponderosa less so. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I think it's true.

So, people SERIOUSLY want Tramlines not to happen?!

Sheffield needs reasons for people to visit it- there are barely any concerts any more in the City, and this event provides a good weekend and brings in visitors/money. I honestly think a lot of people would like to see Sheffield culturally dead- no music, no entertainment, no visitors.

Look at what other cities offer- Sheffield desperately needs events like this. Whether it may not be your type of event or not, things like this are vital for a city. A weekend of slight distruption to a park is a small price to pay!