Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

Guest makapaka
By moving it to Hillsborough they can now steal much of the alcohol sales from the city centre bars and sell it themselves (at stupidly inflated festival prices)

Brings in more money for the festival but it's bad for everyone else.

If the festival was all about boosting business in the centre then moving it away to increase profits is a very selfish move.

They are only talking about swapping ponderosa for hillsborough park though aren't they - so the remainder of the festival would be unaffected?

They are only talking about swapping ponderosa for hillsborough park though aren't they - so the remainder of the festival would be unaffected?

It would, but by taking the main stage even further away youre also taking away a massive amount of potential customers from the town centre venues.

Guest makapaka
It would, but by taking the main stage even further away youre also taking away a massive amount of potential customers from the town centre venues.

I'm wouldn't argue with you, you may be right, personally though I don't think its that big a thing - arguably the same was happening with Ponderosa which whilst closer was still taking people out of central town to use the temporary bars / food stall etc.

Your right.

Walking from Devonshire Street to Ponderosa is not that bad.

Having to take a tram to Hillsborough is a pain in the ar$e.

I personally think they should move the event every year to a different part of sheffield to promote all the areas and local businesses..

Town will still be crowded as more and more people are opting for the smaller venues to watch new talented bands, such as the Green Room anyway..

Your right.

Walking from Devonshire Street to Ponderosa is not that bad.

Having to take a tram to Hillsborough is a pain in the ar$e.

Trams will get ruined by all the boozed up people messing around in them, hope Stagecoach don't mind!

Well I'll be attending next weeks Hillsborough Forum meeting think they may get a frosty response from the locals.

Well I'll be attending next weeks Hillsborough Forum meeting think they may get a frosty response from the locals.[/quote

so will I, but from a positive perspective. Hillsborough needs something new.

glad I don't live near the hillsbrough park,it must be a night mare with funfairs,festivals,circus events never mind swfc crowds and shoppers,its madness

it is supposed to be a city centre event,if this is the case move it around major parks each year,but the idea was to attract folks to Sheffield via train,bus,tram ect,what about

visitors coming by coach and train from other citys? its a few miles to hillsbrough

I'm not going to be negative just want to hear what they have to say. Hope there giving the residents nearby some free tickets

glad I don't live near the hillsbrough park,it must be a night mare with funfairs,festivals,circus events never mind swfc crowds and shoppers,its madness

it is supposed to be a city centre event,if this is the case move it around major parks each year,but the idea was to attract folks to Sheffield via train,bus,tram ect,what about

visitors coming by coach and train from other citys? its a few miles to hillsbrough

To be fair, Hillsborough park tends to cope quite well with big events, most locals enjoy themselves my only concerns is the condition of the park after the events and interference with the local park users during events.

Example would be during the Owls in the park the pathways being covered and blocked off, not ideal for those with mobility or sight issues having to navigate around gaint inflatables that crossed over the paths along with cables trailing across them.

As for train connections, trams run direct from Sheffield train station platform to Hillsborough, 20mins one of the easiest connections, and as for coaches, there is masses of parking off penistone road on match days.

I hate to say it Hillsborough is a joy to live in, on almost any day even match days.

Tramlines first came about to try and attract people into the City Centre on what was traditionally the quietest weekend of the year for the pubs etc.

When the main (free then) stage started on Devonshire Green it changed the festival but at least people heading for that called in the bars on their way to and from it, and went into town just for the festival atmosphere.

Moving it to Ponderosa was bad enough, I was speaking to a pub manager who said they couldnt really justify paying bands anymore as theyd no longer make the money back.

Moving it to Hillsborough defeats the entire object of Tramlines. taking people away from the City Centre rather than bringing them in.

Good post !!