Business insurance do I need it

I have been asked by my sons care providers whether I have business insurance I would need it in order for support workers to travel in my car.

I never knew I needed it. Surely the care providers should cover this insurance for their employees . I can't afford the extra cost of business insurance, I don't have an income and I definitely do not own a business.

I qualify for a mobility car which I may consider, if so, would the mobility insurance cover my sons support workers in my mobility car.

You don't explain the situation clear enough for me to be able to tell. Are you paying for / employing these people? Why are they in your car? Each insurance company has different charges for different scenarios so speak to them.

When I did temporary agency work years ago my insurance company wanted to charge me extra for having different places of work. They backed down when I explained that there was no difference to having permanent employment at one location.

When I did need business car insurance it didn't add any extra charge as I wasn't carrying any paying passengers or goods, just travelling myself.

Hello Chez2

Thank you for your reply

My son's support workers are paid through his direct payments from Social services. I have nothing to do with his support provide company or workers money wise they Do Not support me

My involvement is only when I take my son to his appointments, his support worker accompany him in my car, or at times when I invite my son and his support workers out. So I presume I can't drive their support workers as I do not have the proper insurance cover

I don't see why I don't have to have business insurance although the support provider company states if I do it covers myself and support workers should I have an accident .

I may consider getting a mobility car then probably I will not have this problem and will be able to drive my son and his support workers in my car without having to worry about it

I hope this makes sense

Hello Jomail. It does sound a bit odd you needing business insurance but I would not want to advise you in this case, I'm unsure. The first thing I would do is phone your current insurance company and see what they have to say.

Hello

Thank you for Your response

I can contact my insurance company but honestly I'm feeling fed up about this saga I don't even want to bother. I am on my own and don't need this hassle.

Why the support providers can't pay insurance for their workers can't really justify it but simply being tight with costs.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do maybe just drive my son without his support workers. Sounds mean

Hello

Thank you for Your response

I can contact my insurance company but honestly I'm feeling fed up about this saga I don't even want to bother. I am on my own and don't need this hassle.

Why the support providers can't pay insurance for their workers can't really justify it but simply being tight with costs.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do maybe just drive my son without his support workers. Sounds mean

Its not quite as simple as that if they are in your car. They could always make their own way there or get a taxi at their own expense. Just make sure you are covered. It really would be hassle if something happened and you were not insured.

By law they need to have public liability/ employee liability insurance. I presume you have a current copy of that? If not, obtain a copy from them.

Hi,

I am also not sure. It doesn't sound like you need business insurance, as you are not employing these people and you are not running a business.

It gets a little complicated sounding because while you are giving them a lift, they are presumably technically working as they are caring for your son. Unless they aren't at those times?

This website seems to give quite a lot of info about business insurance: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/business-cars/

From that, it seems that you don't need it!

Edited by Eddie_shef
Confused myself!

If possible I would employ different care providers, this should I assume come under social use as you are socially taking your son and his carers out. If not then ask the care providers to send out carers that have their own transport.

I also have been asked the same by my sons support provider I certainly won't be taking out business insurance just to drive his support workers in my car for leisure purposes. I've stopped driving them and take my son out in my car if it's a distance away, otherwise he and support workers, stick to local areas for coffee and cake with me. I'll see how long this goes on for.

If possible I would employ different care providers, this should I assume come under social use as you are socially taking your son and his carers out. If not then ask the care providers to send out carers that have their own transport.

You have missed the bit where the OP mentions "his appointments" as well as social occasions.

Hello

Sorry, what I meant by appointments it's driving him to some of his scheduled activities, social gathers for him to attend if he makes it out if his house. He doesnt always like to go out much.

My son's support workers have their own cars I presume they use it now and then to drive him,. I can't be sure how this works they had claimed back their expenses from him. He pays the taxi costs when they go out anywhere.

The problem now is when I drive my son and his support workers. I am needing business insurance.

Hello

Sorry, what I meant by appointments it's driving him to some of his scheduled activities, social gathers for him to attend if he makes it out if his house. He doesnt always like to go out much.

My son's support workers have their own cars I presume they use it now and then to drive him,. I can't be sure how this works they had claimed back their expenses from him. He pays the taxi costs when they go out anywhere.

The problem now is when I drive my son and his support workers. I am needing business insurance.

Ah, I thought you might have meant medical appointments or day care etc. I don't see how this requires you to have business insurance. The care workers would need their cars to be insured for business as they are carrying a customer / client for their business / employment.