Will I be welcome in Sheffield?

Hi folks.

I am thinking of upping sticks and moving 25 miles south to Sheffield. Wakefield hasn't been a happy place for me, or successful in terms of jobs. I have a chance of a job in Sheffield, although not a terribly well paid one. However, progression may be available, and I can always look for a better role once I'm there.

The thing is I don't know anyone there apart from person, so is it easy to make friends there? It may beg the question why I want to live there, but I have a son in Leicester so it's only just over an hour by train. Also, I have also lived in Nottingham and have friends there, so closer still. Also, my friends in West Yorkshire won't be too far either.

As for the city, I like Sheffield and it's one the edge of the Peaks. I'm not overly keen on parts of the city centre, but it's being done up so good things seem on the way. Also, I have to be honest, I find Sheffield people just normal and nice without anything to prove, unlike Leeds and Manchester (sorry if you hail from either).

So, for an outgoing, friendly, 43 year old male, is Sheffield a good choice?

Hopefully you will find people friendly in Sheffield. There seems to be plenty of groups, etc. depending on what you're interested in?

Hopefully you will find people friendly in Sheffield. There seems to be plenty of groups, etc. depending on what you're interested in?

I want to join a gym down there as, well, I need to lose a few pounds.

we don't take kindly to strangers round these parts . But apart from that , welcome to the finest city in the uk

I want to join a gym down there as, well, I need to lose a few pounds.

Go to moaning classes and all will work out just fine and dandy.

we don't take kindly to strangers round these parts . But apart from that , welcome to the finest city in the uk

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'll fake a Sheffield accent then and you'll think I'm a local.

Hi folks.

I am thinking of upping sticks and moving 25 miles south to Sheffield. Wakefield hasn't been a happy place for me, or successful in terms of jobs. I have a chance of a job in Sheffield, although not a terribly well paid one. However, progression may be available, and I can always look for a better role once I'm there.

The thing is I don't know anyone there apart from person, so is it easy to make friends there? It may beg the question why I want to live there, but I have a son in Leicester so it's only just over an hour by train. Also, I have also lived in Nottingham and have friends there, so closer still. Also, my friends in West Yorkshire won't be too far either.

As for the city, I like Sheffield and it's one the edge of the Peaks. I'm not overly keen on parts of the city centre, but it's being done up so good things seem on the way. Also, I have to be honest, I find Sheffield people just normal and nice without anything to prove, unlike Leeds and Manchester (sorry if you hail from either).

So, for an outgoing, friendly, 43 year old male, is Sheffield a good choice?

Hi Sparko,

Like yourself I come from West Yorkshire, and I've found Sheffield to be a great place to live. I moved here in 1991 when Sheffield was even more in the doldrums than it is now, but have always found most people here to be unpretentious & down to earth.

As others have said there are opportunities of meeting new people - depending on your interests. Lots of gyms around - so you'll have no problem finding one!

Hi Sparko,

Like yourself I come from West Yorkshire, and I've found Sheffield to be a great place to live. I moved here in 1991 when Sheffield was even more in the doldrums than it is now, but have always found most people here to be unpretentious & down to earth.

As others have said there are opportunities of meeting new people - depending on your interests. Lots of gyms around - so you'll have no problem finding one!

Ah thanks for that. Do you find it friendlier than up here?

Sheffield is the type of place where stranger will strike up a conversation on a bus! There are loads of different clubs and events so hopefully you'd find settling into Sheffield live easy :)

Sheffield is the type of place where stranger will strike up a conversation on a bus! There are loads of different clubs and events so hopefully you'd find settling into Sheffield live easy :)

I hope so. Thank you!

Ah thanks for that. Do you find it friendlier than up here?

I think about the same....Wakefield might be a little different to where I was raised.

Have you thought about which district you'd want to live in if you decide on Sheffield? Others on here may disagree - but there are some areas that are less welcoming than others; though that's probably perception more than anything.

I think about the same....Wakefield might be a little different to where I was raised.

Have you thought about which district you'd want to live in if you decide on Sheffield? Others on here may disagree - but there are some areas that are less welcoming than others; though that's probably perception more than anything.

Where in west yorkshire did you live...

Edited by WestTinsley