Shortage of Charity Shop Volunteers

I've been a volunteer in the British Heart Foundation shop in Hillsborough since it opened three years ago. The research funded by the charity has saved and/or improved the lives of many people with heart conditions.

I've been retired for several years, so I have some spare time. I understand lots of people have really busy lives, but if anyone wants to join a hard working group of people, learn new skills and support a worthwhile cause, why not think about volunteering?

Working in a charity shop doesn't have to be on the front line, as well as serving customers, there are plenty of other jobs that need to be done. Sorting donations, steaming clothes, tidying the displays, arranging collections, even cleaning and washing up.

If anyone is interested, drop into the shop, or phone 01142337240 and ask to speak to the manager.

I may have a few spare hours a week i'll pop along x

I wholeheartedly agree with volunteering and helping out with charity, I'm a volunteer myself for a charity close to my heart, I just wonder if people who volunteer for BHF are aware that as a charity they support and carry out testing on animals which I know is something many people are against.

I only recently found this out myself and am absolutely disgusted and shall no longer support this charity.

I've been a volunteer in the British Heart Foundation shop in Hillsborough since it opened three years ago. The research funded by the charity has saved and/or improved the lives of many people with heart conditions.

I've been retired for several years, so I have some spare time. I understand lots of people have really busy lives, but if anyone wants to join a hard working group of people, learn new skills and support a worthwhile cause, why not think about volunteering?

Working in a charity shop doesn't have to be on the front line, as well as serving customers, there are plenty of other jobs that need to be done. Sorting donations, steaming clothes, tidying the displays, arranging collections, even cleaning and washing up.

If anyone is interested, drop into the shop, or phone 01142337240 and ask to speak to the manager.

This is a wonderful charity who I have donated many things to. There is a man who stands outside the shop come rain or shine with BHF carriers and a collection tin. Please donate if you are passing.

My daughter is 17 and at college. She is desperate for some work experience. With her been 17 she was told charity shops wont allow her. Insurance purposes.

Some charity shops about 10-15% of their takings go to the said charity. Therefore someone is making a lot of money calling themselves a 'charity' . And even better getting volunteers to do it for nothing .

One of the biggest problems is transport and cost, for a lot of people who have time to volunteer, they are retired or disabled, and cost of travel is often too high to pay out of your own pocket!

One of the biggest problems is transport and cost, for a lot of people who have time to volunteer, they are retired or disabled, and cost of travel is often too high to pay out of your own pocket!

Fortunately the shop I volunteer in is within walking distance. Also I'm of an age to qualify for a bus pass, so that's not an issue for me. Some organisations will help volunteers with bus fares, always worth enquiring.

---------- Post added 10-09-2017 at 19:46 ----------

Some charity shops about 10-15% of their takings go to the said charity. Therefore someone is making a lot of money calling themselves a 'charity' . And even better getting volunteers to do it for nothing .

78% of money raised by BHF goes towards the charity. I see how hard the paid staff work, and I realise that without skilled people leading the organisation the money raised would be far less. I'm also grateful that the research and development has directly helped members of my family.

---------- Post added 10-09-2017 at 19:56 ----------

I wholeheartedly agree with volunteering and helping out with charity, I'm a volunteer myself for a charity close to my heart, I just wonder if people who volunteer for BHF are aware that as a charity they support and carry out testing on animals which I know is something many people are against.

I only recently found this out myself and am absolutely disgusted and shall no longer support this charity.

I'm aware, just as I'm aware that most of the modern medicines and treatments available have also been tested on animals. I'm also aware of BHF policy on it, and accept it. I have nothing but respect for people like yourself who put their principles first and have to refuse these life saving treatments and cures on the basis that they have involved animal testing.

Hi

I Work at the British Heart Foundation in the city centre and we are also wanting volunteers

we do reimburse bus fares if you do a certain amount of hours in the day we provide coffee and tea

you can volunteer with us from 16 just need parental consent for anyone under 18

So if your interested give us a call ask for Sue or Carol on 0114 2753301

Most people who are retired or disabled enjoy free travel and most voluntary organisations reimburse those who don't.