Nether Edge and Loxley

I was seeking some advice about moving to Sheffield. I currently live in Preston which is quite suburban. My Mrs is adamant for "outstanding" schools as my son is in similar primary school here. Ideally a suburban area inside catchment area for an outstanding primary school. Being close to the city is a plus but not the most essential. I am aware that ofsted can be challenged but for now I am trying to keep her happy :)

Now this outstanding issue has ruled out most of S10 and S11 areas as they are mostly good schools. We are ruling out infant schools as well as our son is starting year 2 and we don't want to move him twice. Main areas left are:

Loxley for loxley primary

Dobcrofts for millhouses

Nether edge

Dore and Totley primary

Currently no houses in Dore, Totley or Millhouses that are close enough to the schools are within our limited budget for Sheffield (250 - 270 maximum). I have been closely investigating Loxley and Nether edge. Your opinions on the following:

- Nether edge primary has had some reputation about certain "racial bullying" that I am aware is well in the past now and the school has achieved outstanding since 2015. Opinions about that and the area of Bannerdale road in particular?

-Loxley primary school has good reputation but I have seen advice here to avoid Philips road where the house I am looking at is actually in. Some talk about the area being close to council houses and possible effects on the area?

Your thoughts please

Nether edge primary used to be called AbbeydaleRoad primary school until a year or 3 bk. It's not in Nether edge,like the new post office counter in the butchers over the road isnt

Maybe worth checking areas such as Sharrow, Heeley, Meersbrook, or Woodseats

?

-Loxley primary school has good reputation but I have seen advice here to avoid Philips road where the house I am looking at is actually in. Some talk about the area being close to council houses and possible effects on the area?

Your thoughts please

Yes, damn those awful council residents. Get over yourself. Pfft.

Yes, damn those awful council residents. Get over yourself. Pfft.

I actually read those comments on this forum. I have no thoughts either way about the matter and only wanted to clarify

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 07:35 ----------

Nether edge primary used to be called AbbeydaleRoad primary school until a year or 3 bk. It's not in Nether edge,like the new post office counter in the butchers over the road isnt

Maybe worth checking areas such as Sharrow, Heeley, Meersbrook, or Woodseats

Thank you. My limitation with these areas would be the lack of so called outstanding schools. I am sure schools their are excellent but just trying to keep the wife happy

I'd read the ofstead reports instead of going for the headline "Outstanding"

Ecclesall Infant School for example in S11, has been an outstanding school year on year. The grading changed for school ratings and they lost it as they didn't show an improvement on the previous "Outstanding" result. No doubt next time they will get an Outstanding rating again, and the ones that have it this time will most likely drop to a good. The cycle will continue.

Also, what are your options for schools after primary in those areas? I know in Loxley you have the option of Bradfield or Forge Valley..

I actually read those comments on this forum. I have no thoughts either way about the matter and only wanted to clarify

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 07:35 ----------

Thank you. My limitation with these areas would be the lack of so called outstanding schools. I am sure schools their are excellent but just trying to keep the wife happy

The obsession with an "outstanding" primary is a little troubling to me as judgements go up and down at two year intervals and are based in many cases on the flimsiest of evidence but I won't bore you with my views on Ofsted.

Someone mentioned Meersbrook - very up and coming area (already up I'd say) and Meersbrook Bank Primary (a consistently 'Good' school in Ofsted terms) regularly ranks in the top 10 in the city in terms of end of KS2 results. It's in the south west (another plus area-wise) and is in catchment for the soon-to-open Mercia Secondary, which has aspirations to be a world class school focussed on academic rigour and high levels of attainment (whether they achieve this remains to be seen but as the kids attending will be drawn from, on the whole, high-performing primaries, I don't see why they shouldn't). With your budget of 250-275k for a house you should be able to get a 3 bed Victorian semi / 4 bed terrace although prices are going up. It also has a very suburban feel while being very close to the city centre which it sounds like you're looking for.

http://www.merciaschool.com/

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E82411&minBedrooms=3&minPrice=230000&includeSSTC=true

Edited by amazon123

The obsession with an "outstanding" primary is a little troubling to me as judgements go up and down at two year intervals and are based in many cases on the flimsiest of evidence but I won't bore you with my views on Ofsted.

Someone mentioned Meersbrook - very up and coming area (already up I'd say) and Meersbrook Bank Primary (a consistently 'Good' school in Ofsted terms) regularly ranks in the top 10 in the city in terms of end of KS2 results. It's in the south west (another plus area-wise) and is in catchment for the soon-to-open Mercia Secondary, which has aspirations to be a world class school focussed on academic rigour and high levels of attainment (whether they achieve this remains to be seen but as the kids attending will be drawn from, on the whole, high-performing primaries, I don't see why they shouldn't). With your budget of 250-275k for a house you should be able to get a 3 bed Victorian semi / 4 bed terrace although prices are going up. It also has a very suburban feel while being very close to the city centre which it sounds like you're looking for.

Thank you. Will check it out now

Loxley is a lovely place to live and within walking distance of The Peak District boundary.

I have a friend who moved across the city to live on Loxley Road both for its proximity to open countryside and the primary school.

Bannerdale Road is very nice but it is not in the Nether Edge catchment area. The western end is in Greystones catchment and the eastern end in Carterknowle. This map can be used to check catchments.

https://maps.sheffield.gov.uk/LocalViewExt/Sites/SchoolCatchmentandLocation2015_16/

There is real pressure on primary school places in some parts of the city and some schools are very hard to get into, even if you move into the catchment. The local authority will find a place for your son but it may not be able to find one right away in the school you want. I think it would be worth ringing the schools that you are interested in to find out if they are full and get a feel for how often places become available.

Best of luck with the house hunting.

A bit late to the conversation but check the schools before, not just the Ofsted. Outstanding from two years ago might not be the same now, especially if senior management has had a big change.