Any staffy owners ,help needed

hi , any staffy owners on here , i need some advice

i have a 20 week old staff pup , and i cant seem to fill her , i feed her pedigree chum puppy food ,but she seems constantly hungry

any tips please

Is she hungry or greedy?

She may be ready for adult food.

thanks for replies ,

she has a separate bowl with biscuits which i fill every day ,

im not sure if shes greedy or hungry , would hate to think she was hungry tho ,

i take her a 4 mile walk everyday , then shes very active in garden ,

has anybody got any alternatives to puppy food

We have German Shepherds not Staffies but we have always been told not to take pups on long walks as their bones and connective tissue etc are still growing and can be easily damaged.

We have raw fed our dogs. Its easier than you think. You can feed more veg based or more high protein mixes depending on the breed and age of the dog. We started this when we had a dog with allergies. You feed smaller volume but better quality food. Their coats smell less doggy, their poop reduces in volume and doesn't smell quite so bad. Their coats improve in quality too.

Most processed dog food is full of junk and cereal.

thanks for replies ,

she has a separate bowl with biscuits which i fill every day ,

im not sure if shes greedy or hungry , would hate to think she was hungry tho ,

i take her a 4 mile walk everyday , then shes very active in garden ,

has anybody got any alternatives to puppy food

4 miles is too far really for a puppy. The rule of thumb - endorsed by the Kennel Club - is 5 minutes exercise for every month of age, (up to twice a day) until theyre fully grown.

As Chez2 says it can damage its joints etc and it can actually cause early arthritis.

I forgot to add. You shouldn't leave a bowl of biscuits for the dog to access as and when they feel like it. They should be fed at dog meal times and not given much in between unless its small amounts as treats for training. These must be taken into consideration too when deciding how much to feed at mealtimes.

The bulk of the dogs body should be a good indication if the dog is getting sufficient food / nutrition. Our dogs have more food in winter as they are active outside dogs. I know yours is a pup but experienced staffy owners will know what shape they should look like at various ages.

It is hardly surprising that she is always hungry. As has been said, you are over exercising your puppy. She is burning up calories that she needs for growth and this is the reason that she is hungry. She needs calm and rest between short exercise sessions. If you carry on with your current regime, not only is there the potential for joint problems, you run the risk of behaviour problems. Calmness needs to be taught and encouraged. Follow Nikki-red's advice re KC guidelines.

Next, choose a better quality food if possible. Look for something that has a named meat source at the top of the list of ingredients. If the word 'derivatives' is mentioned, put the food back on the shelf. The ingredient list should be crystal clear so you know exactly what you are feeding your dog. Look for circa 30% protein or more and a minimum of 14% fat.

Edited by ccit

thank you for the replies

will take the advice on board

I have a staff you and he's the same here so greedy we bought one of those swirly bowls to slow his eating down it works but he's still greedy he'd eat a full sack of food if he could.

It's just what some dogs are like and there's times when he won't go for a walk in the rain so he doesn't burn all his energy but he's still just as greedy try encouraging your pup to eat slower with one of these bowls you can get them at petsathome

I don't think eating quick is a problem. We haven't been able to stop it in our dogs. We have timed them and it usually a matter of seconds for them to eat a bowl of meat. It didn't take our other dogs, now deceased, long to crunch through a carcass but we only tend to feed minced (raw) bone now.

As I said, just go on the dogs build for a feeding guide. We have mistakenly both fed our dogs the same meal and they have gulped the second portion down as quick as the first meal. Ours dogs don't beg or whine for food as they know they only get fed at set meal times....unless they manage to help them selves when we mistakenly leave food accessible.