Looking for some advice - Selling homemade jewellery

I have started making jewellery and gifts at home. This is just a hobby, something to pass the time. It can work out very expensive and I am looking into ways I can sell the home made jewellery gifts to cover the costs. I dont want to have to take it as far as being a business but does anyone have any ideas of how I can sell the jewellery. I looked into things like a facebook page but would that mean I am a business and would have to register as such. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Get a few stalls booked at craft fairs in the run-up to Christmas if you have enough stock.

HI marx. Ive got one booked and did a car boot recently with a friend but I don't drive which is an issue. Looking for local ones tho

I have started making jewellery and gifts at home. This is just a hobby, something to pass the time. It can work out very expensive and I am looking into ways I can sell the home made jewellery gifts to cover the costs. I dont want to have to take it as far as being a business but does anyone have any ideas of how I can sell the jewellery. I looked into things like a facebook page but would that mean I am a business and would have to register as such. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Advertising takes it into the realm of a business, even before you actually sell anything according to the HMRC definition. Its not a business if you just gift your items to family and friends. Even bartering / exchanging products and services is classed as a business. If you sell something then its definitely a business. You can set up as a sole trader quite easily, even if you just want a hobby business. Don't forget there are a lot of regulations when selling Jewellery, take care that any products you source are EU compliant as USA regs and therefore metal content is very different from EU, particularly regarding nickel content.

Don't forget to cover yourself with suitable product liability insurance if you are selling anything, public liability insurance if you plant to set up a stall or go anywhere selling your jewellery.

You can find everything you need to know on HMRC and .gov webstites.

Have a look at Etsy or not on the high street as a selling platforms. These are for hand made items. eBay is not the platform for finished jewellery.

Edit - only limited companies 'register'. As a sole trader you would still be liable for tax etc. Keep records of your purchases and sales and do a self assessment once a year. It will affect your tax etc if you are working.

I have a shop in S6 selling hand made or hand finished items if you'd like to rent some space?

Advertising takes it into the realm of a business, even before you actually sell anything according to the HMRC definition. Its not a business if you just gift your items to family and friends. Even bartering / exchanging products and services is classed as a business. If you sell something then its definitely a business. You can set up as a sole trader quite easily, even if you just want a hobby business. Don't forget there are a lot of regulations when selling Jewellery, take care that any products you source are EU compliant as USA regs and therefore metal content is very different from EU, particularly regarding nickel content.

Don't forget to cover yourself with suitable product liability insurance if you are selling anything, public liability insurance if you plant to set up a stall or go anywhere selling your jewellery.

You can find everything you need to know on HMRC and .gov webstites.

Have a look at Etsy or not on the high street as a selling platforms. These are for hand made items. eBay is not the platform for finished jewellery.

Edit - only limited companies 'register'. As a sole trader you would still be liable for tax etc. Keep records of your purchases and sales and do a self assessment once a year. It will affect your tax etc if you are working.

Blimey. That's probably worth giving up a hobby for!

Do you know if craft fairs generally have PLI, or would that just cover the venue/organisers and not the stallholders?

Blimey. That's probably worth giving up a hobby for!

Do you know if craft fairs generally have PLI, or would that just cover the venue/organisers and not the stallholders?

Its only a hobby if you give the items as gifts to friends and family or if you make it to wear yourself.

A person / business would need their own public liability insurance. They also need to check exactly what this covers.

Its only a hobby if you give the items as gifts to friends and family or if you make it to wear yourself.

A person / business would need their own public liability insurance. They also need to check exactly what this covers.

True. I like to dabble with different things though, and I'm running out of people to give them to!

I've probably accumulated enough to do a one off (eclectic) craft stall, but not to do it regularly. What do I do with all the pieces that seem to be going spare?

I have a shop in S6 selling hand made or hand finished items if you'd like to rent some space?

How would I get more information on this

Start with craft fairs but be choosy. The run up to Christmas is usually a good time