3D Printing User Group

If you had access to a 3D Printer how could you use it?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. If you had access to a 3D Printer how could you use it?

• Once
    • Until it ran out of filament
    • Twice
    • 20 X
    • Forever, but run out of ideas?

Are you both running filament printers?

Still undecided on what might make the "best" 3d printer.

7 hours ago, Phanerothyme said:

Are you both running filament printers?

Still undecided on what might make the "best" 3d printer.

I am, creality ender 3 is what I have.

Buy a set of Mondeo washer jet and side skirt jack covers. 

Scan and print, sell them on Ford pages and profit! 

A set of original covers go for around £100

23 minutes ago, Resident said:

Buy a set of Mondeo washer jet and side skirt jack covers. 

Scan and print, sell them on Ford pages and profit! 

A set of original covers go for around £100

What year?

I built myself a Wooden Chinese Copy of the I3 Prusa Kit initially, then decided I wanted something more robust, So moved onto the Maplins ...3D Offering DIY Job, which is a now not supported, as they Closed their Stores. So the Final Configuration is my Downfall, as any instructions for Configuration, if supplied by Supplier seem Foggy or incomplete but I do like the experience of building them!

I am currently building a Steel upgraded Version  of Prusa I3, with most up to date version of  the best heaters for fusion Filament system, so I'm still undecided on which is best, I bought a ready made one, which promptly on first use blocked up, being too blobby, poor support is in USA.. Is via poorer emails, where they just suggest you buy more expensive bits of Kit or products from them. 

All were filament Heated Deposit type.

I'm definitely the kind of person who wants something that works out of the box. There are some nice SLA printers coming online at under a grand, and whilst it's still a messy, "wet" process, the quality of the models is superb.

8 hours ago, MrRobot said:

What year?

2001-2007. They're like rocking horse manure to get hold of. 

Just 1 washer cover can set you back £20. Unfortunately because of that it makes them a target for theft

3D printing using filament.  No thanks.

Laser sintered from powder is my prefered route.  Far more stable isotropically and uniform in mechanical properties, not to mention I am not constrained to only using plastics.  Titanium, stainless steel and aluminium are nice options.  Not tried copper yet though.

On a related note.  Autodesk AutoCAD and Inventor is what I mainly use for 3D modelling.  However, NX is really nice too and kind of nostalgic as it is built from SDRC I-deas which is what I used in uni.

Yeah, not many consumer/desktop metal printers yet, but it's only a matter of time.

But you can get your model printed in almost anything through online 3D printshops. Some will even print in wax and cast in precious metals, print in ceramic, rubber, plaster of paris as well as metals. Nothing quite as metallurgically precise as what you're talking about, but fine if you want to make something very strong like steel or shiny like gold.

I use blender for all my 3d apart from sketchup which is pretty good for DIY and hobby projects. As a tool blender in no way designed for creating physical objects, but it's sculpting and organic modelling tools, not to mention its rendering engines, are eye-poppingly good for an open source project.

Filament printers are fine, especially if you want to produce lots of colourful, hardwearing, plastic objects out of ABS. Dual filament printers that use PVA to print water soluble supports enable a whole additional level of print possibilities.

But I want an SLA printer, to print tiny, detailed objects in polycarbonate. I'm at home with methacrylates, and I like the smell. This one looks dinky enough for my purposes - https://www.banggood.com/ANYCUBIC-Photon-UVResin-SLADLP-3D-Printer-115x65x155mm-Printing-Size-With-28inch-Touch-Screen-p-1267935.html

On 12/16/2018 at 7:40 PM, Resident said:

2001-2007. They're like rocking horse manure to get hold of. 

Just 1 washer cover can set you back £20. Unfortunately because of that it makes them a target for theft

Talking of which, a bloke down the road woke up to this scene a couple of weeks ago.

http://imgbox.com/uIHr1APo

Bit more than a washer cover!

I think this is a little off topic, for 3d Printing, @RiffRaff unless your thinking one of us could print your neighbours front bumper and number plate, which I think some could say be slightly naughty or I believe illegal! But we can't with an A4 size Printer.

1 minute ago, DeZeus said:

I think this is a little off topic, for 3d Printing, @RiffRaff unless your thinking one of us could print your neighbours front bumper and number plate, which I think some could say be slightly naughty or I believe illegal! But we can't with an A4 size Printer.

Merely a comment regarding theft from cars, seeing the topic had already been mentioned.

I'll butt out now and leave you to your printing.