Juke and Loe - Ecclesall Road

On 19/03/2019 at 22:33, Brooker11 said:

I always found Mr Dawes reviews to be very good, I've eaten at some great places on the back of some of them, I miss his Star column, his put some very scathing ones of places in the past.

I must have missed those scathing reviews then, because I thought he was very restrained in his reviews and I saw very few negative ones.   Those places that got bad reviews from him must have been really bad!  

The point is, you cannot objectively review a place if the moment you walk through the door, people know who you are.  The restaurant staff are going to react in a different way if they believe you are there to review them.  That's why I place no value on reviews where the reviewer is known, or where the place is paying for the review.  Regrettably that's the majority of guide books.  Doesn't mean they don't contain some very good places though - and I'm sure Mr Dawes reviewed some very good places too.

23 hours ago, bendix said:

I've been to Juke and Loe four or five times in the last 12 months and it's universally excellent.  Ive been for dinner mostly, but it's also excellent for a nice weekend brunch.

Best restaurant in town for me.

I'd forgotten about this place tbh.  We did enjoy it when we went last time - that's 18 months ago now!  How time flies.  I don't know why we've not been back tbh?  I suppose it wasn't big on atmosphere, a bit small and basic seating etc.  But yes, the food was good.  I may give it another try sometime - I'm glad it's doing well.

We tend to ring the changes and travel around a lot to eat out.  Last week we went to Prestbury (that's between Macclesfield and Manchester Airport).  There are a few nice restaurants there - it's rather upmarket.  We went to a wine and champagne bar called Bacchus and had a nice meal.    A few weeks before we tried the Indian restaurant there - Tiffin Kitchen - that was exceptionally good.  One of the best Indian restaurants we've been to for a long time.

Next on my list to try  is Alchemella in Nottingham.  https://alchemillarestaurant.uk/

I don't drink and drive so I don't mind making a 45 minute trip down the road to find interesting places to eat.  And the one above appeals to me.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 21/03/2019 at 10:55, DerbyTup said:

I must have missed those scathing reviews then, because I thought he was very restrained in his reviews and I saw very few negative ones.   Those places that got bad reviews from him must have been really bad!  

The point is, you cannot objectively review a place if the moment you walk through the door, people know who you are.  The restaurant staff are going to react in a different way if they believe you are there to review them.  That's why I place no value on reviews where the reviewer is known, or where the place is paying for the review.  Regrettably that's the majority of guide books.  Doesn't mean they don't contain some very good places though - and I'm sure Mr Dawes reviewed some very good places too.

Try and find his review of the Italian at Baslow as an example of a negative one, I don't think the places he visited paid for his reviews either. A lot of places I remember him reviewing were foreign owned with the owners/chefs in a lot of cases having not been in the area or the country for too long so I doubt they'd have been avid readers of Wednesday nights Star.