Noise complaint about my 125cc scooter.

Ive started in the last 8 weeks or so using a scooter (gilera dna 125cc) for getting too and from work.

In the last 2 weeks 2 doors up has started posting messages on fb about "what a nightmare im being" about what times im going and coming on my scooter.

I do 1 week mornings (set off at around 5am & come back just past 2pm or 4pm) and 1 week afters (set off at around 1pm & come back just past 10pm or 12am)

I do live 3 doors away from end of a dead end road & will start the bike on my garden only so i can with ease up hill get the scooter to the road and set off. All this with in 5 mins.

I am a council tenant would this go against me...

I've lived here for 6 years and known 3 others that do a similar thing to me with their bikes & not known her to complain about them doing it or the times they leave.

I've always got on with this person (never been like best budds) in the past.

Edited by J666HUR

Without knowing your full situation it's hard to say, but I used to have a 125cc DNA many years ago and they are NOT loud in anyway. Unless the bike has been modified with a different exhaust I'd struggle to understand someone complaining about it if you are simply riding it normally and not sitting outside your house revving it like a loon.

Can't see how it would affect your tenancy unless you are actually doing something wrong.

Have you calmly spoken with the neighbour who is complaining to see if you can find a compromise?

They can't do anything. If it's got an MOT which I'm sure it does then that's fine. One of my close friends is a sound engineer and they have to install sound meters and take measurements over time etc and its all very longwinded to ever get done for a noisy bike.

No doubt you'll get a load of plums calling you antisocial, selfish and you name it on here. Don't worry about it. Good on you for getting up early to go to work, people just love to over react

Have you checked to see if they keep bedroom windows open all night?

Wouldn't put it past some idiots to have all their windows open then complain about traffic noise.

I do live 3 doors away from end of a dead end road & will start the bike on my garden only so i can with ease up hill get the scooter to the road and set off. All this with in 5 mins.

Are you saying that the road you live on is a steep hill which is hard for you to push the bike up?

Given the time of morning, out of consideration for the neighbours, If I were you I would try to push the bike away from you and your neighbours houses and start the bike somewhere else. I'd do it somewhere different everyday so that no one household kops for it every morning.

Your neighbour should be pleased that he lives next door to someone that gets his arse out of bed to work instead of some layabout waster anyway.

Tell them to get a life.

My neighbour works ungodly hours and starts one car backs it off his drive, starts his work car and does the same and then returns the family car to the driveway. Bang under my bedroom window, it isn't overly noisy(a throaty BMW) but doors banging,music etc can be annoying.

BUT he's every right to go to work and start his car.

Yes they do have every upstairs windows open all night.

My main problem that i have with all this... is a kid(18ish) 2 door away from me starts and rides his geared 125cc from his dads house past mine and upto the road. + their are 2 more the other way (1 has a vespa bike and the other has a standed road bike not sure of cc are make.

They all pass her house, they all ride from their houses on the foot path and all at different times of the day. but yet im the problem...

Edited by J666HUR

Your bike can't be any louder than a car starting, and you're only doing what everyone else does on their way to work. I'd say you've got absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like your neighbour has little in their life if this is all they've got to worry about!

the only problem i think i have if she roports me to the council for starting and ridding on the footpath as im a council tenant. i think once im on the road it becomes a police matter

Ive started in the last 8 weeks or so using a scooter (gilera dna 125cc) for getting too and from work.

In the last 2 weeks 2 doors up has started posting messages on fb about "what a nightmare im being" about what times im going and coming on my scooter.

I do 1 week mornings (set off at around 5am & come back just past 2pm or 4pm) and 1 week afters (set off at around 1pm & come back just past 10pm or 12am)

I am a council tenant would this go against me...

I've lived here for 6 years and known 3 others that do a similar thing to me with their bikes & not known her to complain about them doing it or the times they leave.

I've always got on with this person (never been like best budds) in the past.

Starting your bike and going to work you are not doing anything wrong.

But some people on scooters have them ridiculous exhausts on them which make the most horrid, annoying and unpleasant sound ever.

I love an engine noise, The growl of an AMG 6.7l beast or the deep rumble of an R32. But those scooters with their horrible raspy farty exhausts do my ears in haha.

I assume you don't have a silly exhaust and there for assume your neighbour is being unreasonable, ignore them and get on with your day :)

the only problem i think i have if she roports me to the council for starting and ridding on the footpath as im a council tenant. i think once im on the road it becomes a police matter

Everyone has to drive/ride over the footpath at some point when they're driving off of their driveway and on to the road, so as long as you're not riding along the footpath for a distance then there is no way anyone can hold that against you.

Yes they do have every upstairs windows open all night.

My main problem that i have with all this... is a kid(18ish) 2 door away from me starts and rides his geared 125cc from his dads house past mine and upto the road. + their are 2 more the other way (1 has a vespa bike and the other has a standed road bike not sure of cc are make.

They all pass her house, they all ride from their houses on the foot path and all at different times of the day. but yet im the problem...

I'd guess either you're the closest or they've had complaints too