Who removes Fridges free of charge? Is it the council

When you purchase a new fridge the seller is obliged to offer a service to take away your old fridge. Use it and it saves a lot of hassle and was free when I did it about 2 years ago via a cheap internet company.

They have to arrange a service but they don't have to do it free of charge.

Don't Sheffield Council offer a collection service? Rotherham do and its relatively cheap considering transport, labour and the cost of dealing with waste and de gassing a fridge etc.

Also - this is flytipping and could hit you with a fine.

would think that the Council are delighted that these scrap removers operate ,and ,,it stops people "Fly Tipping" as they know it will be removed ,very quickly. there's money in scrap, so it's a Win, Win solution for all parties

And what about people with no option? disabled? those who can't drive? Elderly? or people that can't drive and/or lift for whatever reason...

people can often ask a neighbor to help move an object in/out of a house etc, but actually scrapping it and taking it to a dump or whatever is a different story...

would think that the Council are delighted that these scrap removers operate ,and ,,it stops people "Fly Tipping" as they know it will be removed,very quickly. there's money in scrap, so it's a Win, Win solution for all parties

Three weeks ago, I noticed that someone had fly tipped a fridge on the pavement in Ingram Road, Norfolk Park. It was still there this evening when I passed by.

If your a Council Tenant there will remove large items for free once a year, any more and I think there is a small charge. Other wise you'll have to take it your self to the tip

Please don't leave fridges and freezers out for the scrap men. All they do is cut the guts out of the back , compressor etc , releasing all the harmful gasses into the atmosphere. The then leave the shell behind.

This is not a one of situation i have witnessed , these days every scrap fridge i have seen on the pavement has had the same fate.

Years ago they would take the lot, i can only assume with tighter fridge disposal regulations, the scrap men now have difficulty in disposing of them.

Ask a friend / relative to take to the local dump if you have no transport , also at my local dump , Blackstock Rd , the staff are very friendly and are more than happy to help the elderly and infirm , and even the pretty girls unload heavy items.

The council collected our old fridge freezer last year. We don't rent from them. It's not free but it's not extortionate (can't remember how much exactly, a few quid). You pick a date and they will collect it from outside your house. Very straight forward.

Please don't leave fridges and freezers out for the scrap men. All they do is cut the guts out of the back , compressor etc , releasing all the harmful gasses into the atmosphere. The then leave the shell behind.

This is not a one of situation i have witnessed , these days every scrap fridge i have seen on the pavement has had the same fate.

Years ago they would take the lot, i can only assume with tighter fridge disposal regulations, the scrap men now have difficulty in disposing of them.

Ask a friend / relative to take to the local dump if you have no transport , also at my local dump , Blackstock Rd , the staff are very friendly and are more than happy to help the elderly and infirm , and even the pretty girls unload heavy items.

Yes, correct. A lot of scrap collectors have no carriers licence or scrap dealer licence from the Environment Agency or local council. The sites operating under an exemption rather than a permit can't accept and degas fridges (hazardous waste) which is expensive and outweighs metal value. Then there is the plastic and insulation to dispose of. The drivers will most likely not be wualified to transport hazardous waste either.

If you leave it on the verge outside your house, the scrap dealers will remove it.

No, they won't. They'll strip anything of value out of it and dump the rest by the roadside somewhere.

And what about people with no option? disabled? those who can't drive? Elderly? or people that can't drive and/or lift for whatever reason...

people can often ask a neighbor to help move an object in/out of a house etc, but actually scrapping it and taking it to a dump or whatever is a different story...

The council will come and take it for a small charge.

The council will come and take it for a small charge.

They quoted £20 to remove an old washing machine, for disabled people on benefits £20 is food for a few days!