No Terms & Conditions at a B&B

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

I wonder if anyone can help, who might be in the know. Last year (2016) I booked a B&B at Scarborough for August 2017 and paid £100 deposit but due to unforeseen circumstances had to cancel and gave them about 6-7 weeks notice.

All though I got a receipt at the time I didn't get any other paper work like the Terms & Conditions (T&C's) ect.

When I tried to get my money back there refused. What I want to know can they do that when.

1/ I was not told the deposit was non refundable at the time of the booking.

2/ I was not given any T&C's at the time of the booking.

3/ When I ask for a copy of the T&C's for them to high light where is say's the deposit was non refundable there don't seem to be any T&C's.

4/ There is NO T&C's on display at the B&B.

5/ Yet on a flyer is states FREE cancellation (how can it when I lost £100)

So is there any thing I can do. ...... Thanks!

If you had the flyer when you booked, and you still have it now, then it's fairly good evidence that the contract you formed could reasonably have been expected to allow cancellation and a return of your deposit.

The only way to force the issue though is small claims court, although perhaps just the threat of it will be enough...

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

I wonder if anyone can help, who might be in the know. Last year (2016) I booked a B&B at Scarborough for August 2017 and paid £100 deposit but due to unforeseen circumstances had to cancel and gave them about 6-7 weeks notice.

All though I got a receipt at the time I didn't get any other paper work like the Terms & Conditions (T&C's) ect.

When I tried to get my money back there refused. What I want to know can they do that when.

1/ I was not told the deposit was non refundable at the time of the booking.

2/ I was not given any T&C's at the time of the booking.

3/ When I ask for a copy of the T&C's for them to high light where is say's the deposit was non refundable there don't seem to be any T&C's.

4/ There is NO T&C's on display at the B&B.

5/ Yet on a flyer is states FREE cancellation (how can it when I lost £100)

So is there any thing I can do. ...... Thanks!

Unless T&Cs are notified before you enter into the contract, they're not binding.

And any unfair ones notified might be capable of being struck-out on grounds of unfairness.

Is there a website with info from the B&B?

Send them a recorded letter stating that you believe you have a right to a refund for cancelling with fair notice and that if they do not return the deposit to you within a reasonable timeframe (say 14 days) then you will pursue the matter in the small claims court. I would also include a photocopy of the flyer highlighting where it says 'free cancellations' so they can see the evidence you'd be showing a court.

"Free cancellation" does not (only-) mean "refundable deposit".

It can also mean "no cancellation fee" (additional to a non-refundable deposit).

/devil's advocate.