Charlotte Court- Sheff Hallam Uni - Tips Please

Please make sure he knows what is included in his rent . We have a sandwich shop around the corner from one of these purpose build student blocks and have spoken to many students who feel very ripped off . The rooms are tiny and not very well sound proofed . Things have been offered but when they move in all isn't what it seems. Parking spaces are not usually provided ,so another cost to think about . Another thing to make sure of is if windows don't open that there is working air conditioning. Not as daft as it sounds! Laundry in some places will be an added cost ,others provide communal washers and dryers for free .

Ask as many questions as possible even if it seems daft ,better to ask than not ,then beat yourselves up .Sheffield is a wonderful place for students ,many stay on after their degrees are finished because they like it so much .Most people welcome students to the city . Wishing your son good luck ,it's a learning curve but I'm sure he will make lifelong new friends and have a wonderful 3 years ?

What's your degree in? Just so we can pass judgement.

Although I did Maths,Physics and Chemistry at A Level, I did Law.

I'm not a Degree snob, I'm genuinely concerned that so many of our children are being conned into being lumbered with a shedload of debt (OK it won't be paid off unless/until they attain a reasonable income) and a fairly useless degree.

as with any student, be brave and step out of the square mile of the city centre.

asda is round the corner, but so is lidl and b nm just up at heely retail park.

avoid sharing things with anyone until you really know them, thats things like tv licences, shopping, food, cooking, utensils. basically anything involving money.

in terms of uni, make sure to ask for help. theres loads available, but its essential to ask for it..

good luck and all that

Thanks for all your replies, they have been noted.All tips appreciated.Thanks for taking the time.

I'm not a Degree snob, I'm genuinely concerned that so many of our children are being conned into being lumbered with a shedload of debt (OK it won't be paid off unless/until they attain a reasonable income) and a fairly useless degree.

Ah yes, with those useless "X science" degrees. Any comment on how well paid those useless Computer Science graduates are?

Catch the 51 bus in either direction for marvellous country walks in Derbyshire.

Are you genuinely saying STEM based degrees are useless?

Try here https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/find-somewhere-to-live/properties/charlotte-court

Charlotte is nice, perhaps a little basic compared to some of the modern private sector blocks in town but it's cheap, all bills included, with a cleaner too, and is in a secure compound. Someone mentioned fines and yes, there are some, but you have to be pretty badly behaved for that - setting fire extinguishers off, breaking furniture, setting fire to your room, and the rules are clearly set out in the tenancy agreement. SHU Accommodation Services are also very straightforward to deal with, unlike many private landlords!

Thanks YOG a good link.I think it's an ideal place.All mod cons and im sure you would have to be unruly to get extra fees/fines.He would be silly not to accept and try Charlotte Court.Sheffi led also has soooo much to offer.

A big thankyou to all who replied, thanks for your time.I do however think some people just use SF as their own platform to have heated debates., and end up diverting from the original topic.... I just like helping people out, particularly those in Sheffield.... cheers.

Try here https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/find-somewhere-to-live/properties/charlotte-court

Charlotte is nice, perhaps a little basic compared to some of the modern private sector blocks in town but it's cheap, all bills included, with a cleaner too, and is in a secure compound. Someone mentioned fines and yes, there are some, but you have to be pretty badly behaved for that - setting fire extinguishers off, breaking furniture, setting fire to your room, and the rules are clearly set out in the tenancy agreement. SHU Accommodation Services are also very straightforward to deal with, unlike many private landlords!

Cheap lol. Over £4500 for 43 weeks. Over £100 per week. Now it is 12 years since I was at uni but I didn't have ensuite anything, but all bills were included and first year was £1500 in student halls. How has the prices more trippled in that time?

£4500. is actually cheap these days, believe it or not. A far cry from the £30 a month I paid for a shared terrace without central heating, death trap gas fire in one room and cockroaches in the kitchen. Students expect more these days....

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Would go a step further and reconsider the choice of uni.

Why you say that? Snob.

Edited by Guderian