UK electric plugs

We bought an electric omelette maker from Groupon and it keeps tripping all our electricity. Just had a look at it an the plug is not a sealed one. Correct me if I'm wrong but Barnet all UK ones ones supposed to be sealed units?

http://www.thehealthandsafetyconsultancy.co.uk/guides/plugsandsockets.asp

According to this article the appliance must come with a plug attached but it doesn't have to be a moulded plug.

"Electrical appliances must be correctly fitted with an approved plug with sleeved pins. All plugs should carry the name and reference number of the approved body, normally BSI or ASTA.

The plug does not have to be moulded on but it must have the correct fuse for the appliance".

We bought an electric omelette maker from Groupon and it keeps tripping all our electricity. Just had a look at it an the plug is not a sealed one. Correct me if I'm wrong but Barnet all UK ones ones supposed to be sealed units?

if its tripping out on a regular basis send it back or bin it, its faulty.

if its tripping out on a regular basis send it back or bin it, its faulty.

Sensible advice, the unit is probably faulty.

It happens from time to time.

Kidley/Crosser, are absolutely correct. Get rid of it.

Just a technical point. Many modern Consumer Units provide circuit protected with mcbs and a RCD ( RCD incorporated in the main switch ). The RCD is sensitive to "earth leakage faults". If your appliance has an earth leakage fault -causing sufficient earth leakage current- the main switch will trip and isolate the whole of the Consumer Unit circuits.

Edited by petemcewan

The electric element inside will be at fault common problem with anything with heating elements cookers,toasters,irons,dryers etc the rcd on the fuse board will keep tripping out get loads of people ringing up we this type of problem

Equipment is faulty and needs repairing/replacing or money back. Could I ask though....what is it supposed to do? An omelette is simple :huh: