Death by dangerous cycling

Another reason to help fuel the dislike of cyclists...

No, I didn't suggest that at all. He wasn't riding like a maniac btw, his error was riding without a front brake.

We obviously have a different opinion of what constitutes a maniac, which i accept. AFAIK the report of the case indicated that she didnt step out immediately in front of him rather at a distance sufficient for him to shout a warning and start a "braking" manoeuvre which the police said would have been successful if he had had a front brake fitted. Personally i think someone riding an illegal vehicle at a speed in which they cannot stop is a maniac. But then, what do i know? I dont ride one of those death traps

I don't think maniac helps to clarify what he was doing. He was on the road, going at a reasonable speed and not doing anything untowards apart from failing to have a front brake.

I don't think maniac helps to clarify what he was doing. He was on the road, going at a reasonable speed and not doing anything untowards apart from failing to have a front brake.

He was riding a 'racing' bike, so I assume he was putting his foot down?

Do you drive your car at the maximum speed it will go all the time?

Reports have said he was doing 18 MPH - so he obviously wasn't "putting his foot down".

You know what assume makes?

Clinton Pringle was killed by a van driver as he walked in a shared space area outside a park while on holiday with his mother.

In court it emerged she had sent a text at the wheel shortly before the collision.

The van driver Rebekah Le Gal, 39, who admitted causing death by careless driving, was given a suspended jail sentence of eight months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41147602

Clinton Pringle was killed by a van driver as he walked in a shared space area outside a park while on holiday with his mother.

In court it emerged she had sent a text at the wheel shortly before the collision.

The van driver Rebekah Le Gal, 39, who admitted causing death by careless driving, was given a suspended jail sentence of eight months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41147602

So your sentence recommendation is a suspended sentence?

Just to be clear, the guy did not have any brakes, ie brake caliper or brake disc. Yes you can use the fixed gear to slow down. very few people would manage an emergency stop. Even then the technique employed can only be applied at a certain point in the crank revolution, by which time you could have crashed.

Well, today on the way home a motorist has driven into the back of me and then driven off. Making the bike unrideable. Fortunately I'm basically uninjured, despite going up onto the bonnet and then onto the floor.

In hindsight, I should have left my bike in front of the car whilst I went to speak to him instead of moving it.

A far more common occurrence than a cyclist injuring anyone of course.

Well, today on the way home a motorist has driven into the back of me and then driven off. Making the bike unrideable. Fortunately I'm basically uninjured, despite going up onto the bonnet and then onto the floor.

In hindsight, I should have left my bike in front of the car whilst I went to speak to him instead of moving it.

A far more common occurrence than a cyclist injuring anyone of course.

Sorry to hear this Cyclone and glad you're not hurt. Any prospect of tracing the driver?

So your sentence recommendation is a suspended sentence?

As a cyclist on occasion, I see all the negativity that they get, and I am often on 'their side'. The judges must have a real hard time, giving fair sentences, across the board. Which ones are really wrong, I dont know enough 'facts'.