Death by dangerous cycling

All of 2 years according to the maximum sentence available minus any good behaviour and time served so prob about 6 mnths

Some motorists serve zero time.

A LORRY driver who killed a cyclist after he failed to indicated he was turning at traffic lights walked from court after a judge handed him a suspended sentence.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/714835/Lorry-driver-killed-cyclist-escapes-jail-eight-month-suspended-sentence

Yeah, sure. That comment was just pure BS to try and get off, which he did.

What kind of idiot thinks its perfectly safe and legal to ride a bike with only one brake?

Sorry officer, I didnt realise that my car had to have brakes at the front as well

Although I find it hard to believe he didn't know, I'm not sure. If I'm doing something, I try to be on top of laws etc, so tend to assume everyone else does the same. But maybe that isn't the case.

However, if your experience is one of seeing cool looking fixies without ugly levers and cables etc, (and to be fair, the minimalist look can appear very elegant), and you go into a shop that sells them, then why wouldn't you just assume they are legal. I wonder if the shops point out to customers that the bikes are not road legal.

If he couldnt stop in time to avoid someone then he was going too fast.

Simples

That's complete nonsense of course. If someone steps out in front of you then it's entirely possible that you couldn't stop. The only way to not be "going too fast" by your definition is to be stationary, all the time.

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 01:25 ----------

[/color]

I disagree, it should be equally important to that of cyclists, not paramount.

/QUOTE]

I don't think Ms Macbeth was talking about a shared space. Of course pedestrians' safety is paramount in a pedestrian area, that's what they're designed for. No one should be riding a bike there anyway - pedestrianised area, get off and push.

Edited by Olive

I nearly got hit by a cyclist on Friday morning walking along the pavement by maplins in Hillsborough. I didn't know he was there until I heard a squeal of brakes and skidding noise right behind me. Not sure how he didn't see me as I was in front of him?! I've also been hit by a cyclist while stood on the pavement at the entrance to Morrison's opposite Ripley street, she really didn't care and just cycled off. Anyway, to the topic of this post, its the mans attitude and complete lack of remorse or empathy which I find really unpleasant.

The terms of the offence are thus (my emphasis):

"Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years ..."

Does anybody question that he is not guilty?

By what measure does riding without a brake fail to qualify as "wilful neglect"?

It seems to me though that this is a very open definition and the genii is out of the bottle now: we will either see a lot more prosecutions or we will see the law revised.

The terms of the offence are thus (my emphasis):

"Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years ..."

Does anybody question that he is not guilty?

By what measure does riding without a brake fail to qualify as "wilful neglect"?

It seems to me though that this is a very open definition and the genii is out of the bottle now: we will either see a lot more prosecutions or we will see the law revised.

It is an open definition, which is no bad thing in my opinion. Just because it is an old law doesn't mean it is a bad one. It's main limitation, IMO, is the 2 year maximum sentence.

In this sort of situation, I think that any penalty should be a mix of the degree of reclessness and potential danger, along with the actual damage. But, personally, I'd prefer if the emphasis was more on potential outcome, instead of concentrating on when someone dies in a situation where death was unlikely.

I nearly got hit by a cyclist on Friday morning walking along the pavement by maplins in Hillsborough. I didn't know he was there until I heard a squeal of brakes and skidding noise right behind me. Not sure how he didn't see me as I was in front of him?! I've also been hit by a cyclist while stood on the pavement at the entrance to Morrison's opposite Ripley street, she really didn't care and just cycled off. Anyway, to the topic of this post, its the mans attitude and complete lack of remorse or empathy which I find really unpleasant.

I don't understand why cyclists use the pavement in places like that at all. The road is relatively safe, with only the tram tracks making it a little tricky, but I see several people quite regularly on the pavements as I cycle to work on the road.

You mean reoccurance. Of course it couldn't.

If cyclists were bound by law to be responsible for their actions , like motorists are , then they would think twice about riding like lunatics ignoring the highway code.

If cyclists were bound by law to be responsible for their actions , like motorists are , then they would think twice about riding like lunatics ignoring the highway code.

Did you not see the bit where the cyclist went to court?

Obviously he is being held accountable otherwise he would have gotten away Scott free

Did you not see the bit where the cyclist went to court?

Obviously he is being held accountable otherwise he would have gotten away Scott free

I think that getting a max 2 yr sentence with time off etc is near enough getting off