Death by dangerous cycling

I've had two incidents involving cyclists who appear to believe that they own the track and have sworn or yelled at us to get out of the way. Both incidents were on the Transpenine Trail, one was at Dunford Bridge when a female cyclist told us to get out of the way from about 30 Yard away, can't be much fun for people walking dogs. The other really was an aggressive idiot who drove straight at us, my wife and I and three strangers, the red faced cyclist " told us to get out of the f*****g way. Some days there are so many cyclists on the Transpenine trail between Elsecar Heritage and Manvers you seem to be permanently having to stand to the side.

Next time, shove your brolly through his spokes. :hihi:

I had to dodge two adult males in full kit cycling along Fargate the other day. I wonder what part of pedestrian precinct they don't understand. My son cycles and I'm certainly not against it, but pedestrian safety should be paramount.

I had a very near miss recently, walking along the pavement on Middlewood road on my way home from work. Was just about to turn the corner left up my street when an adult on a bike whizzed past me on my left hand side. If I'd have turned a second earlier I'd have been flattened. I had no idea he was there. Nearly gave me a heat attack. Wondering if I need to get rear view mirrors fixed to my jacket?!

This case is the equivalent of a car driving killing someone when he had no brakes on his car claiming he would use engine braking to stop. That is why he deserves to go to prison.

The judge has said he will serve time.

............ Both incidents were on the Transpenine Trail, one was at Dunford Bridge when a female cyclist told us to get out of the way from about 30 Yard away, ..........

The stretch of the TPT from Wortley to Dunford Bridge is a bridleway and, as such, cyclists are required to give way to pedestrians.

Leaving Dunford Bridge to the west the bridleway ceases and TPT rules then require mutual respect, which generally means keeping to the left.

I have nearly been hit twice on the pavement in the last few months.I stepped out of a shop and he was right on me at speed.My hearing isnt as good as it used to be so i cannot hear them coming and to be honest you are not really expecting it.

I think it's fair to say our judges are far from consistent in the application of sentencing.

I think it fair to say that most commentators don't know all the facts...

Could a change in the law prevent a repercussion of the recent tragic events in London ?

Only read this first post, but no, unlikely, given that he was already breaking the existing law by having no front brake.

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 01:24 ----------

But do you not think that it is a positive move in the right direction that means that cyclists will have to take responsibility for their actions and be punished if they don't abide by the rules of the road that other road users have to follow ?

For instance - maintaining a roadworthy vehicle and following the highway code i.e., not travelling on the pavement and observing red lights etc.

So, you're asking if the status quo will somehow change the way things are?

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 01:25 ----------

I had to dodge two adult males in full kit cycling along Fargate the other day. I wonder what part of pedestrian precinct they don't understand. My son cycles and I'm certainly not against it, but pedestrian safety should be paramount.

I disagree, it should be equally important to that of cyclists, not paramount.

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 01:28 ----------

Perhaps, perhaps not. My point was that the only person that KNOWS if he knew is himself.

Here's someone with no reason to lie who says he didn't know it was illegal.

'Why I ride a bike without a brake'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41036581

Ignorance of the law is not a defence though. And frankly it really beggars belief that he couldn't know, given that it's just a google away.

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 01:28 ----------

He seems like a nasty piece of work but I cant help but feel he is being used a scapegoat.

He should have had a front break but:

He would not have stopped in time with a front brake.

She stepped into him.

He was not cycling too fast.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

The report says that he would have stopped though, with a front brake...

But, as a direct result of his wanton or furious driving (who came up with THAT law and when!?!) the woman sadly died. You can argue a legal standpoint but the title is pretty much accurate.[/quote wanten and furious driving is a law law about controlling a horse and carriage.

The report says that he would have stopped though, with a front brake...

Does it? I thought is said he could have avoided a collision.

If he couldnt stop in time to avoid someone then he was going too fast.

Simples

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 18:06 ----------

Next time, shove your brolly through his spokes. :hihi:

Stand to one side with an outstretched fist

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 18:07 ----------

The judge has said he will serve time.

All of 2 years according to the maximum sentence available minus any good behaviour and time served so prob about 6 mnths

If he couldnt stop in time to avoid someone then he was going too fast.

I wish that rule applied to all road users . How often have we heard "they stepped out in front of me, I had no chance to stop" as a defence

I wish that rule applied to all road users . How often have we heard "they stepped out in front of me, I had no chance to stop" as a defence

If we all travelled at a speed whereby we could stop in time, and avoid hiting someone who just stepped in front of us; we'd all be travelling at around 5mph.