Death by dangerous cycling

18 months in the slammer . what a pathetic sentence . If it was a motorist it would have been at least double that . Yet again , one rule for drivers, another for cyclists.

We all know, even you know, that we could post numerous examples of motorists who kill getting treated very leniently by the law. I can think of half a dozen well know cases in this city alone. There is a thread over on the Sheffield page if you want to check

So here is just one article. I cannot be bothered to waste time posting even more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9636991/Third-of-drivers-who-kill-and-maim-avoid-jail.html

Its always good to blame someone else.

I assume yo were there and think you saw something different to what I said?

Didnt think so.

You have a good night :-)

Delivery man cleared of causing Neston girl Esme Weir's death by dangerous driving.

Mr Williams, of Poulton Road in Wallasey, hit Esme as he mounted the pavement to make a delivery of wood and then ran over and killed a four-year-old girl.

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/delivery-man-cleared-causing-neston-12781152.amp

We all know, even you know, that we could post numerous examples of motorists who kill getting treated very leniently by the law. I can think of half a dozen well know cases in this city alone. There is a thread over on the Sheffield page if you want to check

So here is just one article. I cannot be bothered to waste time posting even more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9636991/Third-of-drivers-who-kill-and-maim-avoid-jail.html

Here's an article explaining the mechanisms which ensure that most motorists who are negligent/inept/drunk who kill or maim a cyclist, will most likely get away with it scot-free or with token punishment

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2015/08/cycling-accidents-and-presumed-liability-uk-vs-europe/

(It also mentions that, in the UK, around 19,000 cyclists are killed or injured on the roads yearly. That's just the reported incidents, the real number will be higher).

Delivery man cleared of causing Neston girl Esme Weir's death by dangerous driving.

Mr Williams, of Poulton Road in Wallasey, hit Esme as he mounted the pavement to make a delivery of wood and then ran over and killed a four-year-old girl.

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/delivery-man-cleared-causing-neston-12781152.amp

What's the relevance of this?

Presumably to highlight the continuing discrepancy in sentencing and to point out how ridiculous the comments about an 18 month sentence are when held up to the light of comparison with sentencing for killer motorists.

Presumably to highlight the continuing discrepancy in sentencing and to point out how ridiculous the comments about an 18 month sentence are when held up to the light of comparison with sentencing for killer motorists.

How does it do that? The driver was cleared.

What's the relevance of this?

It shows that car drivers that kill people because of their own recklessness, do not get charged with manslaughter, and often dont go to jail.

It shows that car drivers that kill people because of their own recklessness, do not get charged with manslaughter, and often dont go to jail.

He wasn't charged with manslaughter because it wasn't manslaughter. He was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving so he didn't kill anyone because of his own recklessness. Didn't you read the article?

He wasn't charged with manslaughter because it wasn't manslaughter. He was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving so he didn't kill anyone because of his own recklessness. Didn't you read the article?

So he was driving on the pavement, and a small child threw herself under his van, but he did nothing wrong in your book?

So he was driving on the pavement, and a small child threw herself under his van, but he did nothing wrong in your book?

My opinion of what he did can only be based on the newspaper report so has no relevance and unless you were in court the same applies to your opinion. The only opinion that counts is that of the jury.

Edited by Jim Hardie
Removed ambiguity.

There should be a minimum sentence for deaths caused by somebody breaking the law regardless of how it happened.Theres a fine line between an accident and mindless stupidity.I see it every day on my drive to work and from motorists,cyclists,motorbikes and pedestrians.