IT managerial jobs in Sheffield

Hello,

I moved permanently to UK from India 6 months back in order to join my husband. I have been searching for a job based in Sheffield since then. I have over 11 + years of IT experience of which last 3 years have been as project manager. Even though I have been applying for managerial related listings on various job sites I have not got any response yet.

Could anyone throw some light on the path to follow for a person without a work experience in UK?

Thank you

Regards

Lakshmi

I worked in IT for Halifax Building Society in Halifax, United Utilities in Manchester and O2 in Leeds. The commutes are not as bad as it sounds so perhaps widening your search area may help.

Sheffield has surprisingly few IT managerial jobs. There is the large hsbc offices in the city centre. This is their UK IT department, so there should be some jobs there.

Sheffield has surprisingly few IT managerial jobs. There is the large hsbc offices in the city centre. This is their UK IT department, so there should be some jobs there.

No chance. HSBC have been moving their IT operations to India for the last decade or so. Every couple of years there are fresh announcements by them dumping another few hundred in Sheffield. If anything there will be fewer IT management positions available in Sheffield because there are plenty of ex-HSBC staff to take them.

They have a hiring freeze in the UK generally as well, they need to justify exceptional circumstances to be able to hire anyone.

That HSBC building in Sheffield looks extremely grim. I worked across the road from it and all you saw were people sat there with headsets on looking depressed.

It's a bit dated to be sure, but the people are happy enough.

The new building is going up in the city centre at the moment though, couple of years and everyone will be moving and the old building will probably be converted into flats or rebuilt as flats.

I believe pipten are hiring in Sheffield, Technical rep.

I am part of a Sheffield based business that offers skills development in Digital and IT sector, we also help new/aspiring contractors get in to roles (we are an approved supplier to Government Digital / IT projects) - we have absolutely no clients in Sheffield but lots elsewhere

Leeds is about £11 a day by train and growing so fast they cant get enough people - SkyBet et al are always recruiting (but they are pretty grim to work for so see them as a way in to better things)

Manchester is about £19 by train and "more mature" in terms of employment/market - there is plenty of work but also a ready pool of talent so it can be quite competitive

It may be worth your while getting along to some Digital events in Leeds, lots are on Meetup etc - eg Agile Yorkshire or Agile Leeds spring to mind - and chat to a few people

You might get lucky in Manchester but Leeds could be easier/cheaper for you. In Sheffield the only employer I know who always struggles to recruit is the NHS - good luck :)

I am part of a Sheffield based business that offers skills development in Digital and IT sector, we also help new/aspiring contractors get in to roles (we are an approved supplier to Government Digital / IT projects) - we have absolutely no clients in Sheffield but lots elsewhere

Leeds is about £11 a day by train and growing so fast they cant get enough people - SkyBet et al are always recruiting (but they are pretty grim to work for so see them as a way in to better things)

Manchester is about £19 by train and "more mature" in terms of employment/market - there is plenty of work but also a ready pool of talent so it can be quite competitive

It may be worth your while getting along to some Digital events in Leeds, lots are on Meetup etc - eg Agile Yorkshire or Agile Leeds spring to mind - and chat to a few people

You might get lucky in Manchester but Leeds could be easier/cheaper for you. In Sheffield the only employer I know who always struggles to recruit is the NHS - good luck :)

Have you seen what is involved in applying for an NHS job?

---------- Post added 14-09-2017 at 12:44 ----------

They have a hiring freeze in the UK generally as well, they need to justify exceptional circumstances to be able to hire anyone.

Really? I sent my CV to them on request. Not heard anything though, but I could have made more effort with my CV tbh.

No chance. HSBC have been moving their IT operations to India for the last decade or so. Every couple of years there are fresh announcements by them dumping another few hundred in Sheffield. If anything there will be fewer IT management positions available in Sheffield because there are plenty of ex-HSBC staff to take them.

Every couple of weeks now. My friends there are basically just waiting for each round of redundancies. Last one was August. They're expecting the next one any time.

Really? I sent my CV to them on request. Not heard anything though, but I could have made more effort with my CV tbh.

They have to get authorisation from a fairly high level to hire anyone in the UK at the moment, even replacements for people who leave.