Deliver furniture from IKEA

Hi,

I would like to buy some furniture from IKEA. First, I thought about ordering online but I found the delivery charge is a bit expensive (£35) and I won't get my stuff until September 9th.

The second choice is to go to the store in Leeds but the problem is how to deliver them to Sheffield.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I would like to buy some furniture from IKEA. First, I thought about ordering online but I found the delivery charge is a bit expensive (£35) and I won't get my stuff until September 9th.

The second choice is to go to the store in Leeds but the problem is how to deliver them to Sheffield.

Any suggestions?

Hire a van for the day?

Hi,

Any suggestions?

£35 is cheaper than van hire and two blokes to carry it in to your house will cost. Out of curiosity, what is a fair delivery charge?

Hi,

Any suggestions?

I am not sure about Leeds but at the Gateshead Ikea you can hire a Hertz van for £13 an hour. It's okay if you live local, not sure if it would work out cheaper than delivery taking into account the distance. You could give them a call and ask them.

The delivery charge has often put me off buying from Ikea. Last time I order I waited until I need several items so the cost worked OK for the number of large items I was buying.

Do you know anyone else who wants to buy anything so you can buy at the same time and share delivery? Then just a case of someone collecting from one of your houses.

Hi,

Any suggestions?

Wait a bit longer (Sept 28th) and go to the new Sheffield store; http://www.thestar.co.uk/business/exclusive-how-ikea-is-preparing-for-sheffield-customers-as-opening-date-is-revealed-1-8697056

Sometime last year, I bought a sofa and a chair, plus a spare set of covers for them both. The delivery charge from Leeds, was waaay too expensive, and as the OP says, there was a 'wait' for the actual delivery of a few days. They were also unable to say if it would even be AM or PM...Then of course was the problem of me not being at home on any day of the week...So delivery was made pretty much a no goer.

Anyway, as luck would have it, a neighbour lent me his van one Saturday morning...But even that was a problem. The sofa came in the biggest box I've ever seen in my life...It was huge and very heavy, as did the matching chair...They wheeled it through the warehouse, and said, "there ya go" and left me and my OH to get on with it....I was gobsmacked and asked if someone could lend a hand to get it off the trolley (they must have known it was damn heavy...and bulky).

The main problem being my OH is a slightly built woman and not capable of lifting much...They put bollards where you reverse the vehicle up for loading, so anything that comes off the trolley has to be lifted over the bollards...I wasn't capable of doing that...Anyway they said we''ll send someone to help..After 20 minutes or so..Nobody had turned up to help...Fortunately a passer-by kindly offered to help, and we managed to load the stuff into the van...

Needless to say, I was extremely upset about this and wrote to complain...It just seemed they had taken our money thank you very much and then absolved themselves of any responsibility. Not my idea of customer service.

They sent me two vouchers for a free meal there...(never been back since)

(This was the Leeds branch)

Depending on which side of sheffield you live if could be easier to go to ikea nottingnam.

Needless to say, I was extremely upset about this and wrote to complain...It just seemed they had taken our money thank you very much and then absolved themselves of any responsibility. Not my idea of customer service.
IKEA is a self-service retail operation, always has been. Here and everywhere else they operate.

Which is how and why most items are designed to be flat-packable and how and why the stores are (and have always been) designed the way they are: shoppers note reference and shelving location of self-assemble bulky items in the exhibition area, then pick flat-packed bulky items from the shelving between the exhibition area and the tills, save for the few largest of which are not till queue-compatible (such as your settee, by the sounds of it).

And, accessorily, how and why, price/quality ratio for price/quality ratio, their wares are frequently cheaper (and, frequently as not, wayyy cheaper) than comparable, ready-assembled units of the competition: quality for cheap comes at the expense of 'premium' service (a.k.a. overheads, in management speak).

Do you ask Tesco staff to pack your shopping in your car boot for you? ;)

IKEA is a self-service retail operation, always has been. Here and everywhere else they operate.

Which is how and why most items are designed to be flat-packable and how and why the stores are (and have always been) designed the way they are: shoppers note reference and shelving location of self-assemble bulky items in the exhibition area, then pick flat-packed bulky items from the shelving between the exhibition area and the tills, save for the few largest of which are not till queue-compatible (such as your settee, by the sounds of it).

And, accessorily, how and why, price/quality ratio for price/quality ratio, their wares are frequently cheaper (and, frequently as not, wayyy cheaper) than comparable, ready-assembled units of the competition: quality for cheap comes at the expense of 'premium' service (a.k.a. overheads, in management speak).

Do you ask Tesco staff to pack your shopping in your car boot for you? ;)

Actually yes, I have seen Tesco's or the equivalent staff helping customers to their car...It's called customer service.

Had the huge bollards (to stop you from stealing their trolleys) not been there, I could have managed...Just a matter of sliding it off the trolley onto the van...

Actually yes, I have seen Tesco's or the equivalent staff helping customers to their car...It's called customer service.

I asked you. If you don't, why not?

Had the huge bollards (to stop you from stealing their trolleys) not been there, I could have managed...Just a matter of sliding it off the trolley onto the van...
The bollards are there for H&S reasons, to prevent both accidents (people reversing without sufficient care, accidentally reversing into adjacent people loading their own cars, or into people streaming out of the store) and least effort warriors reversing to within an inch of the doors (you've been, you know the setup, you've observed others, so you just know some would, if they could). The trolley-keeping thing is bonus, down to bollard spacing.

Look, I'm genuinely not out to defend IKEA at any cost...but the level of outrage perceivable in your earlier post is really misplaced.

It'd be a different kettle of fish if you'd been to a premium furniture retailer, for sure.

Edited by L00b

I asked you. If you don't, why not?

The bollards are there for H&S reasons, to prevent both accidents (people reversing without sufficient care, accidentally reversing into adjacent people loading their own cars) and least effort warriors reversing to within an inch of the doors (you've been, you know the setup, you've observed others, so you just know some would, if they could).

Look, I'm genuinely not out to defend IKEA at any cost...but the level of outrage perceivable in your earlier post is really misplaced.

It'd be a different kettle of fish if you'd been to a premium furniture retailer, for sure.

Yes I can see your logic...and sort of agree. But I 'do' believe the bollards are there specifically so that the trolleys can't be wheeled away...There's no other reason (having seen the setup)...They are quite tall...Substantially built, and obviously spaced, such that trolley won't go in between.

Maybe mine was a bit of a special case...Even the kind fella that helped me, commented that I must have chosen an item that was the biggest box and heaviest box in the store...

Wherever there are cars, and pedestrians, there is always a risk of accidents, so I don't quite buy into the H&S angle...

---------- Post added 21-08-2017 at 16:36 ----------

I found a picture which demonstrates the type of bollards, which you have to negotiate...From the picture you can clearly see a trolley won't go through the gap, and has to be lifted over the top.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/FEN7FW/ikea-store-sign-leeds-birstall-retail-park-batley-uk-england-scandinavian-FEN7FW.jpg