Where to sell mahogany?

My dad is clearing out his garage, and has decided to get rid of some pieces of Brazilian mahogany that he's had for about 40 years :o but not got round to using.

Are there any timber merchants who would buy these, or am I better trying to eBay them? One piece is a large flat panel, about 2ft x 5ft, and the others are narrower lengths.

You would be better off advertising these on eBay.

Timber merchants will not give you good money for them....

As I thought. Cheers Mafya.

Depending how thick the pieces are, you might find some guitar builders being interested...

This sort of wood shouldn't be on the market anywhere. It's probably fantastic quality but at what price to the rainforest in Brazil. Find someone who will make proper use of its beauty not just some joe soap on Ebay who'll want it for firewood. I just hope you have the good grace never to buy mahogany or teak.

Well, that's kind of why he's trying to find someone who wants it rather than skip it, or use it to board out the loft. :rolleyes:

I think the fact that my dad has carefully kept, stored, turned, cleaned and checked the stuff for well over 40 years shows his appreciation of wood. He's got bits of wood in his garage that he's been "saving for something special" for 60 odd years, before the plight of tropical hardwoods was common knowledge.

Edited by feargal

Maybe worth asking around the Antiques Quarter, might be useful to a furniture restorer

This sort of wood shouldn't be on the market anywhere. It's probably fantastic quality but at what price to the rainforest in Brazil. Find someone who will make proper use of its beauty not just some joe soap on Ebay who'll want it for firewood. I just hope you have the good grace never to buy mahogany or teak.

People looking on eBay for mahogany wood don't want it for firewood! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 19-08-2017 at 15:07 ----------

Well, that's kind of why he's trying to find someone who wants it rather than skip it, or use it to board out the loft. :rolleyes:

I think the fact that my dad has carefully kept, stored, turned, cleaned and checked the stuff for well over 40 years shows his appreciation of wood. He's got bits of wood in his garage that he's been "saving for something special" for 60 odd years, before the plight of tropical hardwoods was common knowledge.

As long as it is not priced as firewood it will attract someone looking for some nice mahogany to put to proper use on EBay so take no notice of madeinsheffield...

Listing it on EBay will advertise it to a very large number of people all over the world...

Edited by mafya

People looking on eBay for mahogany wood don't want it for firewood! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 19-08-2017 at 15:07 ----------

As long as it is not priced as firewood it will attract someone looking for some nice mahogany to put to proper use on EBay so take no notice of madeinsheffield...

Listing it on EBay will advertise it to a very large number of people all over the world...

LOL imagine the postage and packaging! Maybe someone should buy it to light a fire under your arse. Roll Eyes. Who is MadeinSheffield?:loopy:

---------- Post added 19-08-2017 at 17:39 ----------

Sorry, just me having a rant. You could try an antique furniture restorer who would be interested. Better than Ebay or a timber merchant. Try Sally Clarke restorations - http://www.sallyclarkerestorations.co.uk or gilboys.co.uk. There are loads of others as well, just google furniture restorers. :)

*feverishly resists the urge to buy wood to make pretty things out of*

LOL imagine the postage and packaging! Maybe someone should buy it to light a fire under your arse. Roll Eyes. Who is MadeinSheffield?:loopy:

---------- Post added 19-08-2017 at 17:39 ----------

Sorry, just me having a rant. You could try an antique furniture restorer who would be interested. Better than Ebay or a timber merchant. Try Sally Clarke restorations - http://www.sallyclarkerestorations.co.uk or gilboys.co.uk. There are loads of others as well, just google furniture restorers. :)

IT could be listed as collection only, oeople will travel for a good bit of wood and it's not bog standard pine is it?

I could buy the mahogany and light a fire under your arse with it couldn't I ?:rolleyes:

If you havnt got anything constructive to add then I suggest you bugger off onto another thread!

The maidinsheff bit was probably an auto typing thing on the ipad.....