How far do you cycle to/from work?

I suspect that's a big issue for a lot of people - time and availability of showers.

I have a shower at work, as soon as I arrive. Having said that, where I worked up until a few yrs ago had no showers, so it was a steady ride to work to avoid breaking sweat, and fortunately it was either downhill or flat.

It would be nice to think that new office developments were required to make provision for staff riding/running to work, both in terms of showering and storage of kit. Unfortunately it's probably seen as a waste of valuable real estate, rather something that an employer could use to attract staff.

It would be nice to think that new office developments were required to make provision for staff riding/running to work, both in terms of showering and storage of kit. Unfortunately it's probably seen as a waste of valuable real estate, rather something that an employer could use to attract staff.

I think that would be fantastic! I'd love to be able to go on lunch runs! Could get a good 4/5 miles in at lunch, quick shower, back to work. Would be great!

Way too dangerous to cycle to work, too many idiots about and no dedicated cycle paths.

I suppose it depends on your route. Mine's along Ecclesall Rd into town, which is bus/bike lane virtually all the way, and then out towards Meadowhall. I sometimes use Five Weirs Walk for the bit out to Meadowhall, which is a nice route.

You do still get drivers in the bus lane occasionally when undertaking right turners, and they occasionally do so without checking their mirrors.

I used to cycle a 12 mile round trip for work five days a week and it was for a 5am start. I was leaving the house around 4am. I must have been insane.

I occasionally get the bike out but it's only 3.5 miles to / from work - easier to run it.

I am fortunate enough to have decent showers at work though.

7.2 miles out. About 1/2 is traffic free or low traffic. Sustrans route 627 35 to 40 mins

8.5 miles back , Europa then 5 weirs walk if I want to enjoy the scenery . That is just over 1/2 route traffic free. 50 mins.

I calculated I saved 700 quid on petrol over the last year .

Lost 1/2 stone - back into the 10 stones again. The longer ride has done my hypertension a world of good .

Before that it was 1 mile - 4 times a day

3 miles there and 3 miles back ... just started cycling thanks to the salary sacrifice/cycle to work scheme (NHS).

downside is there a hill either end (ecclesfield to northern general hosp) which can be trying as im 50 years old and not a spring chicken any longer! other downside is the shower/changing facilities at the northern are pretty crap ...

I used to walk/run every day to work and back, so an upside is that cycling is much quicker - walk takes 45 mins, run 30 mins, cycling takes 15!

Way too dangerous to cycle to work, too many idiots about and no dedicated cycle paths.

Generally the only bit where I might feel threatened by traffic is on Langsett Rd coming through the tram stops.

6 miles each way, hill on the last half a mile. Mostly road in the winter, sometimes use the riverside path through Beeley woods. Generally 3 times a week, when not working away or ferrying the kids around in the holidays.

Upsides - the buzz you get having sat on (my) fat arse all day..... , keeping relatively fit and commuting quicker than in the car. It's addictive when you get into it and I miss it when I can't do it.

Downsides - early November, drivers seem to be very close as the dark evenings draw in. This is generally the only time I feel nervous, I guess it's cycling with a different mindset to when it's warmer and still daylight.

I'm looking to increase this to both ways with the assistance of an ebike purchased through cycle to work scheme.

Im interested in your cycle to work scheme, and which bike did you get, as I would like to do the same?

Showers not a necessity. A small microfibre towel and a spray bottle of mildly soapy water can turn a toilet cubicle into an impromptu shower before changing into clothes either carried in or left at work.

That's how I used to mix a ride out to Ladybower with a commute to work. I've grown lazier now so just to the straight 5 miles

I tend to cheat in the summer holidays and use the car a bit more but when traffic returns to "normal" I can get an extra 10 minutes in bed by cycling rather than leaving earlier to sit in traffic...rush hour driving is just crazy and needless (for me, anyway)

I cycle 6 miles (10km) takes me about 20-25 minutes.

I get a free breakfast every month too.