How far do you cycle to/from work?

Throughout the summer I've regularly cycled the 16 miles either to or from work and now I'm looking to increase this to both ways with the assistance of an ebike purchased through cycle to work scheme.

My route is excellent as it's almost all on the Trans Pennine Trail and I'd like to save a bit more money by reducing the amount I use the car.

Just wondering how far people cycle to and from work and what the pitfalls are.

9 miles each way, i do this (on average) 3 days a week.

i use the traffic-free route beside the parkway (which is actually really nice) to get from the end of Maltravers Rd, to Waverley. This represents about half my journey.

pitfalls: nothing serious, it's my preferred means of getting to work - so much easier, less stressful, more reliable, than driving. if i've ridden every day through the work-week, i'm pretty tired at the weekend.

we're looking to move, my wife has her set of criteria, i'm looking for something close to a traffic-free cycle route (precious few of those in sheffield) so i can still get to work without buying a second car.

Edited by ads36

10 miles each way, 5 days a week, rain or shine, all year round. I occasionally go by car if I need to go out of the office to somewhere else in the day, maybe once per month.

I extend it once or twice a week on the way home to make it 25 miles work to home.

No pitfalls, it takes no longer than by car, is much cheaper, and much less stressful and a lot healthier. Much more preferable than by car.

I used to ride the 10 miles from Stocksbridge to Kelham Island most days, it was quicker than the bus. I can cycle probably 90% of the route on cycle paths and off road through Wharncliffe Woods.

If you're not on the roads, there aren't may pitfalls, apart from the weather, and being constantly hungry :hihi:

Surely you arrive at work all sweaty?!

I'm not unfit - I run regularly - but I would sweat a lot doing that! I also wouldn't want to do it in my suit, so would have to get changed/showered. How does that work?

on a warm day, yes. so i have a shower.

if i just bimble along on a cool or cold day, no.

an e-bike would make it even easier.

Edited by ads36

on a warm day, yes. so i have a shower.

if i just bimble along on a cool or cold day, no.

an e-bike would make it even easier.

I suspect that's a big issue for a lot of people - time and availability of showers.

Throughout the summer I've regularly cycled the 16 miles either to or from work and now I'm looking to increase this to both ways with the assistance of an ebike purchased through cycle to work scheme.

My route is excellent as it's almost all on the Trans Pennine Trail and I'd like to save a bit more money by reducing the amount I use the car.

Just wondering how far people cycle to and from work and what the pitfalls are.

Much shorter than your route for me, about 5.5 km, so maybe 3 miles.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 13:31 ----------

I'm not unfit - I run regularly - but I would sweat a lot doing that! I also wouldn't want to do it in my suit, so would have to get changed/showered. How does that work?

Not that much uphill for me, and I wear casual clothes in the office, so I simply change my t-shirt.

I could shower if I needed to, I do after a lunchtime run of course.

I was riding alongside a guy the other day whose cycle to work commute is Sheffield to Penistone - RESPECT!

I don't, I drive 5 days a week.

3.5 miles into work (downhill wearing work clothes). Anything from 8 - 30 miles home, depending on weather (having changed into cycling kit). I try to go home via a trip to Redmires, Calver, Bradfield etc... All on road apart from a couple of very short cycle paths in town.

Way too dangerous to cycle to work, too many idiots about and no dedicated cycle paths.