Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

1 minute ago, SnailyBoy said:

No, I don't foresee that scenario at all.

It appears your argument is a classic slippery slope fallacy. An argument that suggests taking a minor action will lead to major and sometimes ludicrous consequences.

Of course a man that self identifies as a woman could seek to be on an all women shortlist or be put on one. You're just running away from having to confront the issues that would arise from it because its too awkward.

2 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Of course a man that self identifies as a woman could seek to be on an all women shortlist or be put on one. You're just running away from having to confront the issues that would arise from it because its too awkward.

Isn't that what the Labour Party now do that got some backlash from female activists.  They allow anyone who self identifies as a woman can be on an all-women shortlist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43962349

I'm not commenting whether that is right or not as I appreciate it is a complex issue that I don't know enough about, but it shows it's not a theoretical scenario.  

Guest makapaka
34 minutes ago, Stranza said:

This article just confirms what I said earlier - people can say they are whatever they like if they're not hurting anyone - however the whole thing is really just a bit daft.

I don't have a problem with people dressing and living as the opposite sex, I really don't, I'll even refer to them as their preferred gender and call them by their chosen name, that's just basic politeness, but I don't literally believe that Kellie Maloney for instance, is an actual woman, and neither do most women, and having this position shouldn't be a "hate crime".

Edited by Hots on

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

If a male (sex) tennis player wishes to go through the operations and hormone replacements and so on to become physically female then they should play in the female game.

I disagree. They're still male and will have grown up with a male genetic profile with associated changes in puberty. For example, they'll have (on average) natural height advantages, broader shoulders, longer arms and different fat to muscle ratios. If they wanted to continue playing they should play in the male game.

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You've had to invent an entirely different definition to everyone else in order to come to that interpretation.  I'd say that it's invalid due to a lack of understanding.  Much like if you conclude that Tuesdays are green because you can see the music and smell the maths on those days.  It's just nonsense.

You might think that in your bubble, but in the real world, my definition is common sense and shared by the silent majority. You've accepted that gender is a social construct. Well, society has constructed a definition of gender that is associated with sex. You can disagree with it if you want but it isn't nonsense, it's reality.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I disagree. They're still male and will have grown up with a male genetic profile with associated changes in puberty. For example, they'll have (on average) natural height advantages, broader shoulders, longer arms and different fat to muscle ratios. If they wanted to continue playing they should play in the male game.

I agree but the militant egalitarian drive for equality drives a coach and horses through all common sense. 

3 hours ago, MAC33 said:

'Same sex relations are normal" - no they're not

Of course they are, don't be silly.

Just now, Halibut said:

Homosexual people are a small minority of the human population, but the word "Normal" is quite a loaded word that I would personally avoid using in this context.

1 minute ago, Hots on said:

Homosexual people are a small minority of the human population, but the word "Normal" is quite a loaded word that I would personally avoid using in this context.

I'd say a significant minority. Why would you do that?

5 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I'd say a significant minority. Why would you do that?

Homosexuality is much less common than heterosexuality, but to use language like "its not normal" will sound like you're saying that it is wrong, and I don't think that it is wrong at all.

Edited by Hots on