Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

Guest makapaka
35 minutes ago, catmiss said:

I think the dilemma is that many young people present at these clinics in extreme distress and with the support of parents/advocates who believe treatments will ‘make everything ok’

I agree.

there’s a lot of attempt to normalise gender transition to prevent prejudice.

i agree with the prevention of prejudice- 

I’m not sure the rationale in defining when it’s right has  been very well thought out.

In an argument over who should have the right by sexual orientation / personal definition of one's chosen sexual identity to play a particular role, I've come across a new term - 'Cisgender'? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51817383

Definition: "Cisgender is a term for people whose gender identity matches the sex that they were assigned at birth. For example, someone who identifies as a woman and was assigned female at birth is a cisgender woman. The term cisgender is the opposite of the word transgender."  So we're talking about a woman then? 

So it appears that someone has decided that man and women,male & female are now redundant words / terms then? 

Ridiculous, pretentious clap-trap.  Surely with all the many terms that are now flying about for one's sexual identity / sexual definition, which people are encouraged to embrace, if the majority of the country wish to use the terms male or female or man or women then there should be no reason to term the different sexes by the single androgynous epithet, cisgender? 

No doubt 'Cisgender' will be appearing on forms shortly, just to cover all bases, least someone or some group be offended? 

Edited by Baron99

42 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

In an argument over who should have the right by sexual orientation / personal definition of one's chosen sexual identity to play a particular role, I've come across a new term - 'Cisgender'? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51817383

Definition: "Cisgender is a term for people whose gender identity matches the sex that they were assigned at birth. For example, someone who identifies as a woman and was assigned female at birth is a cisgender woman. The term cisgender is the opposite of the word transgender."  So we're talking about a woman then? 

So it appears that someone has decided that man and women,male & female are now redundant words / terms then? 

Ridiculous, pretentious clap-trap.  Surely with all the many terms that are now flying about for one's sexual identity / sexual definition, which people are encouraged to embrace, if the majority of the country wish to use the terms male or female or man or women then there should be no reason to term the different sexes by the single androgynous epithet, cisgender? 

No doubt 'Cisgender' will be appearing on forms shortly, just to cover all bases, least someone or some group be offended? 

Don't get your knickers in a twist. cis (Latin for "this side of") is just the opposite of trans (Latin for "the opposite side of"). It's been used when referring to gender for over 30 years and has been used in chemistry even longer. Are you going to get upset next time someone refers to trans fats in foods?

As for androgynous terms, what's wrong with using a gender neutral term for a gender neutral thing? Or do you still think "he" should still be the official singular neuter pronoun as I was taught at school in the 1970s?

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, altus said:

Don't get your knickers in a twist. cis (Latin for "this side of") is just the opposite of trans (Latin for "the opposite side of"). It's been used when referring to gender for over 30 years and has been used in chemistry even longer. Are you going to get upset next time someone refers to trans fats in foods?

As for androgynous terms, what's wrong with using a gender neutral term for a gender neutral thing? Or do you still think "he" should still be the official singular neuter pronoun as I was taught at school in the 1970s?

I don’t think they’re saying that.

i think they’re saying if you were born a female and identify as a female/girl/woman why would you ask to be called cisgender and not just a female/girl/woman. 

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

I don’t think they’re saying that.

i think they’re saying if you were born a female and identify as a female/girl/woman why would you ask to be called cisgender and not just a female/girl/woman. 

Don't forget the 'Cisgender' epithet is also applied to that of male/boy/man. 

Does seem strange that when you have perfectly recognised terms for gender, such as male & female, then someone and let's face it, despite what Altus states, even if it's been around for 30 years or so, it's not that a common term & male & female have been around for centuries and have served us & continue to serve us well. 

It's as though certain individuals or groups are intent on trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Interesting that yesterday, the Court of Appeal threw out a case for gender neutral passports, putting an 'X'  in the section of the passport instead of the more recognised 'M' or 'F'.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-51823318

Edited by Baron99

On 11/03/2020 at 05:33, Baron99 said:

Don't forget the 'Cisgender' epithet is also applied to that of male/boy/man. 

Does seem strange that when you have perfectly recognised terms for gender, such as male & female, then someone and let's face it, despite what Altus states, even if it's been around for 30 years or so, it's not that a common term & male & female have been around for centuries and have served us & continue to serve us well. 

It's as though certain individuals or groups are intent on trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Interesting that yesterday, the Court of Appeal threw out a case for gender neutral passports, putting an 'X'  in the section of the passport instead of the more recognised 'M' or 'F'.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-51823318

I thought passports asked what sex you were, not what gender you identify as, am I wrong? Gender seems to have become a meaning less term to me based on current 'arguments' I keep reading or hearing about. I know some people can be intersex or can be genotypically one thing while phenotypically another or they can be mosaic but it is more objective than subjective. 

Clearly some individuals have many more issues than just deciding which gender they wish to be? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/stories-51806011

I note the comment of one of the individuals whose doctor told her to wait before considering any transition from female to male.  Her immediate reaction was that the doctor was "Transphobic." 

Clearly with such a comment, she was not mature enough at the time to undergo any medical procedures & now clearly with the passing of time & how things have turned out, the doctor was right. 

A lot of time, money & heartache could have been saved.  

Going through puberty is tough and confusing. Now aged over 60 I remember my own confused emotions, attempts to fit in to what was expected by parents/adults and conflicting demands of peers. I’ve witnessed this in my own children and now seeing it with grandchildren. I’ve always thought puberty wasn’t the right time to assess educational ability (there’s too much else going on) and have now widened my opinion to believe, whilst acknowledging the depth of emotion etc, that life changing decisions made at this time are sometimes misguided.