'Absolutely scandalous' charity

This article[/url] is about four charities who are taking a man to high court for an estate valued at £340,000. The lady had made a Will leaving her estate to Dogs Trust, World Animal Protection, Friends Of The Animals and Heart Research UK.

The anti-charity brigade do seem to be using this to bring up negative news about charities.

I guess all those complaining will be shocked to learn that there are around 90,000 prostitutes working in the UK. :loopy:

According to data from the Office for National Statistics, prostitution contributed £5.3 billion to the UK economy in 2009.

What is that saying, charity starts at home ;) why are people complaining about 5? charity workers going with prostitutes, when it happens over 500,000 times in the UK

Is it not true that prostitution is the oldest profession? I once read that the earliest known examples of advertising were women in ancient Pompeii

who would tack nails/pins into the soles of their sandals that spelt "Follow Me" as they walked along dusty paths.

I agree it's a profession that most of us would gladly like to see disappear - incredibly demeaning for all involved in my view.

But as the crude saying goes " Every woman is sat on a fortune" sorry

Some it seems are forced to cash in this asset - how utterly depressing in the 21st century!!

Edited by mrcharlie

Surprised Brenan Cox and his sister-in-law hasn't given us their opinion on the happenings,they are always on tv.

He's appeared and guess what.

I see Brendan Cox has set up another,he knows where he can make a good living from.

Its just broke on the BBC website that he has quit his positions at all the charities including the Jo Cox foundation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43101434

I see the Guardian is currently silent on this issue...

He was head of 2 charities in his wife's name probably on a good pay check,the bloke is a sleaze and had walked before the fall.

1st page - 2nd story = https://www.theguardian.com/uk

Yawn , back on topic please.

It's very pertinent that somebody can walk out of one charity under a cloud of sexual impropriety, complete with police reports, and walk straight into another, one of which he's a trustee of.

Seems like the Charity Commission needs a bit of an overhaul but the danger there is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Nasty slur there. Well done.

So it's a nasty slur is it,let's have your opinion.

Not surprising then that the likes of the RSPCA are one of the biggest landowners in this country.

Genuinely interested - have you got a source for that? It's something I've never heard before

Seems like the Charity Commission needs a bit of an overhaul.

Not so. Its main job is to supervise charities' compliance with the law, not to decide whether trustees are moral people and appropriate to hold office- the latter is a task for other trustees of the charity, its subscribing members, and its beneficiaries.

See the Charities Act 2011 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/25/contents (esp. sections 14-16).

Don't stop giving to charities. Just give to small local ones that make every penny count.