Where does Southern England start & North South Divide?

If you need an analogy for the North/South divide look no further than the 'Hunger Games' series of films. In this 'fictional' land they have a 'Capital' where all the weirdos, bubbleheads and self-serving elite live, and you have the 'Districts' where the general population live their drab lives producing wealth for the 'Capital'.

They even have a High Speed railway to connect it all together.

10 years ago this study

http://www.sasi.group.shef.ac.uk/maps/nsdivide/ns_line_detail.html

http://www.sasi.group.shef.ac.uk/maps/nsdivide/

there is a missing year of life expectancy north of this line. Children south of the line are much more likely to attend Russell group universities for those that do go to University (and they often go to the North to study!), a house price cliff now runs along much of the line, and, on the voting map, the line still often separates red from blue.

In terms of life chances the only line within another European country that is comparable to the North-South divide is that which used to separate East and West Germany. This is found not just in terms of relative differences in wealth either side of the line, but most importantly in terms of health where some of the extremes of Europe are now found within this one divided island of Britain.

As far as l am concerned Sheffield is the gateway to the north, It is the first city in Yorkshire and most see Yorkshire as the north of england. Anywhere south of Sheffield is in the Midlands. Sheffield should have a sign on the M1 saying Sheffield, Gateway to the north of England.

When I'm driving up the M1 I always think you're in the North once you've passed Hardwick Hall.

In My opinion of course but the North starts with Sheffield - Below Sheffield through to Coventry is the midlands, anything below Coventry is South.

Watford Gap

When I'm driving up the M1 I always think you're in the North once you've passed Hardwick Hall.

No that should be " When I'm driving up the M1 I always think I'm [lectrolive..] in the North once i've passed Hardwick Hall." Wherever that is..

North starts when you hit the Pennines ..

Wherever that is..

Between Mansfield and Chesterfield, it's very visible from the motorway.

There's also an unseen driver behind the statistic. Large parts of southern England are places people retire to. Ergo the longer people live the more likely they leave the North (or in fact London) to live out their days on the south coast. Those left behind are more likely to die of cancers or road traffic accidents etc. I expect that would be borne out by the death rates and cause of death stats.

If you need an analogy for the North/South divide look no further than the 'Hunger Games' series of films. In this 'fictional' land they have a 'Capital' where all the weirdos, bubbleheads and self-serving elite live, and you have the 'Districts' where the general population live their drab lives producing wealth for the 'Capital'.

They even have a High Speed railway to connect it all together.

That's getting to be pretty much what it's like...

Everything outside London is becoming irrelevant.

I think we are seeing the 'managed decline' of the North as a long term political goal of the Conservative party. As time goes on conditions in the North will worsen and the North/South divide will grow wider with greater implications in terms of health and old age care and the complete abandonment of any council provided facilities. You can argue for ever about where you draw the line, but everyone knows very well which side of it they live on.