Where does Southern England start & North South Divide?

In your opinion, where does the South of England start?

To me, it's the area south of (and including) Tewkesbury, Banbury, Milton Keynes, Bedford, Saffron Walden, and Ipswich.

Please let's not have any "south of Meadowhead roundabout" comments.

Just south of Jordanthorpe/Batemoor

---------- Post added 12-08-2017 at 22:33 ----------

If you want to know where the south starts you have to know where the north starts as a point of reference?

Jordanthorpe/Batemoor

The North... is north Derbyshire .north Notts .north Staffs and Lincolnshire and anywhere north of that...

The North starts when you hit the beginning of the pennines..

SEE MAP HERE ;

https://www.contours.co.uk/walking-holidays/maps/pennine-way-map.gif

Technically no. None of those areas are port of the north east or north west regions. They are midlands.

billions for the new crossrail but they wont even elecrtrify our aging diesel trains.

Same old story

I think one of the stories highlighted in this report is that lots of men 35-45 are dying from alcohol and drug related problems as well as suicide. It isn't much to do with coal or industry.

Technically no. None of those areas are port of the north east or north west regions. They are midlands.

"Regions" ??" Technically .."?? Enough of the Poltician speak. People there class themselves as Northern..

The North starts at the Pennines.. everywhere south of that is southern

"Regions" ??" Technically .."?? Enough of the Poltician speak. People there class themselves as Northern..

The North starts at the Pennines.. everywhere south of that is southern

Northern in what sense?

Northern in what sense?
(??)

Goes back a long way i imagine.. like asking a welsh person in what sense are they welsh..

(??)

Goes back a long way i imagine.. like asking a welsh person in what sense are they welsh..

Well, there is often talk of a north south divide for example. The line for that usually cuts across the very south midlands, and would place Leicester, Nottingham and Derby firmly in the north. But those places are not in the north although there are similarities.

I guess what you are arguing is that the places in the north of Notts, leics and Derbyshire are essentially so similar to nearby northern cities that they are effectively northern. Fair enough. Some people would disagree. You don't have to travel very far south of here and the accent changes a lot and takes on a distinctly midlands lilt. You don't have to travel far to find strong support for Derby County, Notts Forest etc... showing that people are looking south, not north.

When I was at school the economic north/south divide was a line drawn from the Bristol Channel to the Wash. I suspect it's moved quite a few miles closer to London in the intervening years.

Watford Gap motorway services on the M1

+1.

Angel1.