Sheffield businessman slates the unemployed

There is no work place discipline these days

There was once a time when an employer could dish out as sadistic thrashing to any worker who answered back

Ahhh the good old days, I used to dream of getting a sadistic thrashing :nod:

If cv's are outdated and no longer asked for how does the employer select relevant candidates to interview/employ? I've worked at the same place for nearly 30 years so have no idea how its done these days!

Exactly. This is exactly the situation faced by the older working people if they're made redundant /lose their job, they hardly know where to start and are at a distinct disadvantage all round. And after years of paying into the system many find they won't get a penny in benefits because they have savings. However they may be the one's in a position to take 0 hour contracts.

[/b]

Exactly. This is exactly the situation faced by the older working people if they're made redundant /lose their job, they hardly know where to start and are at a distinct disadvantage all round. And after years of paying into the system many find they won't get a penny in benefits because they have savings. However they may be the one's in a position to take 0 hour contracts.

I'm actually 'only' 45. I started on a yts at 16 but your right, I wouldn't have a clue if I was starting again

Owner of sales company questions work ethic of entire city because some people haven't turned up for interview?

As stated earlier this is the second time this man has been in the Star and stated the same. He is obviously out for the publicity and the Star has reported it again as it needs to sell papers.

we wanted volunteers for the day ,not one offer in 9 years,so we now pay minimum wage and although we get enough we only just,i know its only 1 day a year and 13 hours but still its a wage.

If cv's are outdated and no longer asked for how does the employer select relevant candidates to interview/employ? I've worked at the same place for nearly 30 years so have no idea how its done these days!

Most places* have online applications - others ask candidates to fill in an application form. It's the best way to get the same information from all the interested candidates. CVs are dire, full of trivia and niff-naff about people hobbies and interests or what they did at school, like I care?!

*Sheffield City Council outsourced their HR to Capita and ever since the online system has been broken - it's been like that for YEARS with no sign they will ever fix it. As bad as Amey.

Ha Ha who are you to say what an employer asks for? that kind of comment reveals what kind of employee you are likely to be.....i.e not one i would want:roll:

If your that bothered about this businessman struggling to find a hard working employee, apply for the job yourself, instead of having a go at others :rolleyes:

Most places* have online applications - others ask candidates to fill in an application form. It's the best way to get the same information from all the interested candidates. CVs are dire, full of trivia and niff-naff about people hobbies and interests or what they did at school, like I care?

Good grief you really are out of touch if you honestly think people's professional CVs used for recruiting contain that stuff these days.

Guest makapaka
As stated earlier this is the second time this man has been in the Star and stated the same. He is obviously out for the publicity and the Star has reported it again as it needs to sell papers.

Yes. It just makes me sick the nerve of it. No one is willing to come and work for me - moan moan.....

There's a simple solution - make a better offer. Its like he thinks he's doing people a favour - when really he trying to make more profit.

Its the way of the world these days - blame the workers for being unwilling to make people more profit.

Most places ask about your current role and responsibilities, to establish who you are and what you do, then have a competence based approach whereby you have to provide examples of , for instance - achieve results, work at pace, communicate effectively, work in teams, make effective decisions, see the bigger picture.

The days of CVs are over. Why the hell would a prospective employer want to know about your hobbies and interests? In the olden days they might have, which is why everyone lied and claimed to do team sports and robust hearty activities rather than wargaming, birdwatching and reading.

Most places ask about your current role and responsibilities, to establish who you are and what you do, then have a competence based approach whereby you have to provide examples of , for instance - achieve results, work at pace, communicate effectively, work in teams, make effective decisions, see the bigger picture.

The days of CVs are over. Why the hell would a prospective employer want to know about your hobbies and interests? In the olden days they might have, which is why everyone lied and claimed to do team sports and robust hearty activities rather than wargaming, birdwatching and reading.

Nerd ;);););)

That said, if tinfoil industries go bust I'm royally borked. They'll look at what I do and go "eh? Bin it."

Edited by tinfoilhat

Not sure when the competency thing came in but my husband was experience that last year job hunting.

Not in the applying stage, that was often still C.V.s but at interview stage. He said that interviews involved nothing about whether he was capable of doing the job or not but all about as you say "provide examples of" a time when...

What he didn't realise is that you have to answer the questions in a particular formula. It was only when he applied and did get an internal vacancy that he was told about the formula.

He reworded his answers and landed the next job he went for. Not sure how long he would have had to keep applying for had he not been told about the formula.