Sign in to follow this  

Different supermarkets attract different types of people - true or false?

Shoppers of a feather flock together  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Shoppers of a feather flock together

• True - thinking about it - Don's rate! :thumbsup:
    • False - nah! Conspiracy &/ or coincidence! :roll:
    • I'm going today to check for myself! :clap:
    • I shop at Aldi & Lidl - and do it with my head down :hihi:

Actually, my dear Kathy, Waitrose and M&S are for people who appreciate good food and wine. Perhaps that makes us fools. ...

No, Waitrose and M&S are for those who haven't taken the trouble to investigate the food and wine offered elsewhere. Why cut yourself off from an entire range of products simply because you believe the media hype about how shopping at Waitrose and M&S somehow confers taste and social superiority?

Well, to be fair, people can shop where they like. I spend the money I save on food on beer so I can't talk :)

However, I would feel ripped off knowing I was buying a can of beans or a loaf of bread for much more than just down the road. I'm not too bothered about other people in the supermarket really I am quite tolerant when shopping. I would say if you hate the people so much why not get your shopping delivered?

lovely curd tarts - can't get them anywhere else.

Try saying that after a few drinks!:D

On the subject of Waitrose, aren't they supposed to be one of the few supermarkets that actually pay producers and farmers decent money for their products?

waitrose tesco and marks and spencer are all rate gud and the bestest shops.:)

No, Waitrose and M&S are for those who haven't taken the trouble to investigate the food and wine offered elsewhere. Why cut yourself off from an entire range of products simply because you believe the media hype about how shopping at Waitrose and M&S somehow confers taste and social superiority?

Absolutely, Hecate - until it closed down,my local Kwik Save was a very reliable source of basic foodstuffs. Some of their wines were extremely drinkable too. (Especially the £3.99 Cava)

Wouldn't it be fun to see if Bartfarst could be persuaded to 'do a Portillo' and perhaps swap his elevated position for a week or two among the 'underclass' he's so disdainful of? :)

What do you reckon Bartfarst? It would make for some very interesting posting on here...

At work I am equidistant from Waitrose and Sainsbury's but I buy my steak at Waitrose because it is a 1000 times better than the stuff from Sainsburys. My wine is then purchased at Sainsbury's because they have good wines and there are always good offers on. The veg will be from Sharps grocers. Because of the convenience of where I work I can do daily shops rather than large weekly ones so I have a bigger degree of freedom as to where I buy stuff from and often buy stuff on a whim if it looks particularly nice or if there is an offer on.

Try saying that after a few drinks!:D

On the subject of Waitrose, aren't they supposed to be one of the few supermarkets that actually pay producers and farmers decent money for their products?

and are a part of John Lewis Partnership aren't they?

ASDA - a happy medium methinks...just wish they had a fresh fish counter.

.:hihi:

The Rotherham ASDA have a small, but perfectly formed fresh fish counter Tartempion (may I call you Tart for short?).

And I hear Derek Accorah is a happy medium now that his 'fake' label has drifted into forgottonness.

Another thing to be said about Morrisons; to get away from the throng of bewildered meandering people, I found solace in the personal hygeine products isle where me & r-lass were the only people to have stepped into it since it was restocked last week.

I shop there because it's easy - we don't all have the time to look around 'elsewhere', and I don't get on the inverted snobbery bandwagon and have a go at people willing to spend a few pence extra to know that they're buying good food.

As for media hype, I accept none of it. I like nice food and wine, can recognise such, so buy what I know I like. Your problem with that is?

and are a part of John Lewis Partnership aren't they?

Yes they are.

I would disagree strongly. We use Morrisons, Asda and Tesco's (depending on who's doing the shopping and where we've been working) for the basics and frozen stuff - we don't have time to cook in the week.

At weekends when I have time to cook I use Waitrose because I want quality ingredients and am prepared to pay for them - I think it has by far the best selection of organic food of any of the supermarkets. The difference is in the taste.

The wine selection suits me - they don't flog as much £3 plonk as other supermarkets but from £4.50 upwards they've the best selection in Sheffield IMHO. I think you'd be hard pushed to find better wines at £4.99 than for example the Beaujolais or Macon Villages. And they've usually a decent offer on - snapped up the last 3 bottles of DuBoeuf Chiroubles yesterday - a snip at £5.99 a bottle.

I shop there because it's easy - we don't all have the time to look around 'elsewhere', and I don't get on the inverted snobbery bandwagon and have a go at people willing to spend a few pence extra to know that they're buying good food.

As for media hype, I accept none of it. I like nice food and wine, can recognise such, so buy what I know I like. Your problem with that is?

My, you are aggressive...

If you're happy to spend the extra money shopping at Waitrose, then I'm ecstatic for you, naturally. I'm rather amused that you believe that the M&S and Waitrose brand automatically ensures quality, though. Maybe I should arrange a blind tasting for you of a few wines of my choosing?