Moving back to sheffield - where not to move to

Manchester is in Merseyside imo.

---------- Post added 11-08-2017 at 14:42 ----------

That's like saying Crystal Peaks isn't in Sheffield...

or Mosborough :P

Mosborough ward — which includes the districts of Halfway, Mosborough village, Waterthorpe, and Westfield — is one of the 28 electoral wards in City of Sheffield, England. It is located in the eastern part of the city, on the border with Rotherham, and covers an area of 8.9 km2. The population of this ward in 2001 was 16,300 people in 7,000 households, the ward population increasing to 17,097 at the 2011 Census.[1] It is one of the wards that make up the Sheffield South East constituency. The area is often referred to as Mosborough Townships. The population of the town increased to 17,097 in 2011 and is made up of 7,579 Households

Thanks all for you fab advise.

After a long think about things i think i going to stick to the s20 area of sheffield.

I lived in beighton 17 years ago and i always loved it there, never had any problems, the people was all lovely and its close to crystal peaks ect.

Just need someone to want to move over here now, just hope its not going to be too long, been away far too long.

Sounds good.. where in the country are you now ?

Where do you people come from show me one area which doesn't have crime of one sort or another.

I for one would never ever ask on a site such as Sheffield forum not because it's bad but because people hear second hand chat or rubbishy story's about different area,s.

There is and always will be good and bad in EVERY single area,too many know alls on here

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 12:18 ----------

I am sec of a big tenants association and chancet wood is quite not even a shop,greenhill village is nice,fraiser estate woodseats,bradway a few flats,meadowhead and I live at lowedges and although not perfect a lot better than 10 years ago,avoid gleadless valley I am told and parsons cross ect

Green hill is not a village

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 12:19 ----------

I am sec of a big tenants association and chancet wood is quite not even a shop,greenhill village is nice,fraiser estate woodseats,bradway a few flats,meadowhead and I live at lowedges and although not perfect a lot better than 10 years ago,avoid gleadless valley I am told and parsons cross ect

Green hill is not a village

A lot of people are missing/ignoring the bit of the opening post that says...

Im looking to do a council exchange...

I would imagine this narrows the OPs options down quite considerably to start with.

Top and bottom of it, Sheffield is not very good place to live, as all ways with questions like these--------------------

Avoid Parsons Cross, Shiregreen, Manor, Pitsmoor, Fir Vale, Firth Park, Wicker

and quote's like the above dont do anybody any good.

i have lived on the manor far the last 15 years in my own house (not council) without any trouble at all, Gleeson are building another 400? private houses, people are buying houses on the Manor Top people want to live there "and" willing to buy a house at the market rate.

And i do know there are some very good places on Parson Cross And Shiregreen.

What difference does owning your home or council house make regarding trouble

And that's another reason there are no council houses because thatcher letting tenants buy their houses for peanuts

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 12:31 ----------

It's not really in Sheffield, do you want to know about all the villages out to a certain distance?

Beighton is in Sheffield

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 12:33 ----------

It's not really in Sheffield, do you want to know about all the villages out to a certain distance?

Of course Beighton is in Sheffield

Edited by esme
quote tags

So important you quoted me twice?

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 17:25 ----------

Manchester is in Merseyside imo.

---------- Post added 11-08-2017 at 14:42 ----------

That's like saying Crystal Peaks isn't in Sheffield...

If someone asked me where abouts in Sheffield they should live, I wouldn't consider Crystal Peaks as IN sheffield. If they said where abouts near Sheffield they should I live, I'd consider CP and Beighton, and many other villages.

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 17:26 ----------

Your argument about whether an area is or isn't in a city based on saying to someone you'll see them in Sheffield is bizarre. If someone said to me I'll see you in Sheffield I might be a bit inclined to ask where as it's a bit hit and miss otherwise...

Well, yes, searching the city centre would be a bit hard.

But do you really think that someone would say "In Sheffield" and actually mean 10 miles outside the city centre?

Officially Halfway most definitely is in Sheffield metropolitan area, Aston and the like are in Rotherham metropolitan area. Halfway residents pay their council tax to Sheffield and Aston to Rotherham. Your council tax invoice also contains information bearing to which area you are in including local parish area.

Yes, but living in Sheffield is not the same as living in the metropolitan area is it...

If someone said to me they were looking to move back to Sheffield and wanted to know about areas I'd most definitely include Halfway and Beighton in my advice, same as Oughtibridge!

I'd only include those if they'd said the Sheffield area, but then I'm a pedant.

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 17:30 ----------

are you ever correct

Halfway (grid reference SK432809) lies in the extreme southeast of Sheffield at the end of a Sheffield Supertram line. Halfway is part of the historic county of Derbyshire but has been administered by Sheffield since boundary changes in 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosborough_(ward)#Halfway

Are you now arguing that Halfway isn't a village as well? On the basis that it's part of the mosborough ward for voting?

Thanks all for you fab advise.

After a long think about things i think i going to stick to the s20 area of sheffield.

I lived in beighton 17 years ago and i always loved it there, never had any problems, the people was all lovely and its close to crystal peaks ect.

Just need someone to want to move over here now, just hope its not going to be too long, been away far too long.

Where are you at the moment Natasha?

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 19:41 ----------

or Mosborough :P

Or Glasgae.........:P:P

If it is not between Holme Lane and (probably) Abbeydale Road look somewhere else - personally I would only look at S10, some of S6 and some of S11.

Really? Not S17 then?

if i said i was going to live in London (heaven forbid) i dont think anybody would think i meant Soho, Same for Manchester and the like.

They probably wouldn't think that you meant Watford though.

Beighton is as far from Sheffield as Motram is from Manchester!

Beighton is one of a clutch of what were once North East Derbyshire villages that were consumed by the outward sprawl of Sheffield city boundaries back in the late 1960's/early 1970's. (I remember it happening but not sure exactly when. I lived in Eckington at the time and remember being asked to vote whether we wanted to be taken over by Sheffield - it was an emphatic "No"!).

Mosborough and Halfway are others. Eckington and Killamarsh somehow remained outside of the expanding Sheffield city boundaries and remain in Derbyshire - nevertheless, the postal address is "Sheffield" and they are all within easy commuting distance of the city.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that someone looking to move back to this area may give consideration to those places as well. Sheffield, after all, is really an amalgamation of many villages, which is why it's the biggest village in the country and has a village mentality!

As a general rule of thumb i would avoid anywhere with a postcode that begins with S