The irrelevant class.

This is not a racist or homophobic or in any way anti any one thread, it is a genuine attempt to see if people think that the media is obsessed with minorities .

Every time we turn on T.V or read the daily papers it seems as though there is a new minority cause to be filmed ,photographed and championed .

The list is endless , Black pride, Gay Pride,The Royals, Sloan rangers,inner City Yuppi livers,sushi eaters and wine sippers.

While all this media frenzy is ongoing it seems as though the silent, unheard unseen majority in our Country are ignored and that is the White working class .

It seems as though the media has no interest what so ever in the ordinary working man and woman in our Country and the only headlines worth their salt are the ones that portray the latest minority in whatever the latest cause may be .

Are the ordinary Joe and Janet's among us invisible or are they just not interesting .

The white working class have got the EDL representing them.....

The white working class have got the EDL representing them.....

no, at best they represent the views of a minority of the not necessarily white, not necessarily working class.

they attract media attention mostly because where ever they turn up, there is usually a contingent of anti-facists, lots of police and the chance of a ratings friendly punch up.

no, at best they represent the views of a minority of the not necessarily white, not necessarily working class.

they attract media attention mostly because where ever they turn up, there is usually a contingent of anti-facists, lots of police and the chance of a ratings friendly punch up.

I agree with this.

That's sort of the point isn't it. The media companies aren't interested in representing groups, they're interested in reporting things that other people want to watch (hence getting ratings and making money).

If the white working class, or the black middle class, or the green aristocracy aren't doing anything newsworthy, then they won't be reported on. It's not prejudice, it's news.

or the ex steel, building and mining workers fighting for compensation after contacting asbestosis and other diseases.
The asbestosis claims are going through court so they can't be discussed by media for fear of influencing the case. Its not a question of the media silencing the white working classes its a legal requirement that its nots discussed until its resolved and a decision has been made. Presumably once it has compensation will be paid in the same manner like it was for COPD and VWF

Or perhaps the 'silent majority' don't have anything to protest about? I don't necessarily think that's true. Lots of people face injustices, marginalisation or exploitation. Perhaps it's about getting organised to get your voice heard. That's how change happens.

In the context of this thread, maybe the OP thinks that the working class as group have been marginalised in the media, and society in general. I think it's true that many working class movements have declined in recent years, and this decline is reflected in the media.

The media tend to go for the sensational over the ordinary.

I think it's such a broad area that the OP needs to be a bit more specific.

Specifically speaking the lack of a roof over ones head is another cause of major social unrest in many countries .

In our own Country for instance the irrelevant class along with many from other social circles are being left behind by the lack of affordable housing, be it to buy or rent .

This is a disaster waiting to happen has it will lead to eventual social unrest as these millions realise that the divide between haves and have nots has widened beyond any past recognisable era.

Guest makapaka
Specifically speaking the lack of a roof over ones head is another cause of major social unrest in many countries .

In our own Country for instance the irrelevant class along with many from other social circles are being left behind by the lack of affordable housing, be it to buy or rent .

This is a disaster waiting to happen has it will lead to eventual social unrest as these millions realise that the divide between haves and have nots has widened beyond any past recognisable era.

But that issue is reported on the news regularly - so it goes against your original point that certain issues were being ignored in favour of others.

But that issue is reported on the news regularly - so it goes against your original point that certain issues were being ignored in favour of others.

Don't actually expect him to make sense... That's not the point.

Don't actually expect him to make sense... That's not the point.

I replied but my reply seems to be missing:help:

I replied but my reply seems to be missing:help:

Yeah, that happens sometimes...