The irrelevant class.

I don't think there has ever been a golden age of when British 'working class life' has ever truly been represented on screen before in a concerted way. There was the 'Wednesday Play', and 'Play for Today' series of the 1960s and 1970s that produced some ground breaking films....

Good idea. Make it sound all flash and forin sounding. Lombona? Lambrini!

I know your game,you've got the same idea as me and are trying to throw me off course,but I know for a fact that only sushi eaters drink wine with fancy names like that.working class won't touch it,so i'm going for a new concept,'red' wine,and 'white' wine,that way we all know what we are talking about.

Are the ordinary Joe and Janet's among us invisible or are they just not interesting .

Some of our older, working class peeps are rather reserved, they will not go in front of the camera, or even facebook.

Guest makapaka

The working class as it was doesn't even exist anymore.

People moaning about white people being oppressed in 2017 britain......unbelievable.

Really. Get a grip.

Over the last 30 years or so there has been a growing awareness of the lack of equality in most spheres of life of people who in today's legal terminology possess on the 'protected characteristics.'

As a gay man I'm glad that since the 1990s Governments have sought to promote the equality of such minorities. People shouldn't be treated as second class citizens because of who they are.

It may well be the case that members of minorities are increasingly been heard in more of the media, hence their stories and histories are being told.

Quite separate from that is the diminution of what you term the 'white working class', and their role in national life. I don't know if you remember about 10 years ago, the BBC did a season of programmes called 'White & Working Class', in which members of that group were portrayed as racist, dim and to blame for their own plight. It left a bad taste in the mouth.

I think, up until recently, class was largely ignored by the media and politicians - perhaps out of ignorance, embarrassment or just viewed it as an irrelevance.

I think a number of related events changed that. The ongoing effects of the financial crisis have brought into sharp focus the differences between the haves and the have nots.

The Brexit vote brought a lot of comment that by and large those who were affluent tended to vote for remain, and those less affluent voted to leave. I think the division was so marked, that many politicians commented upon it.

Thanks for giving proper response to a subject that is now found in many conversations on the streets but ignored by the media.

I don't think class is ignored by politicians at all, they're all keenly aware of social class and how to appeal to specific voter segments.

And I can't really see how it's ever been ignored by the media, in entertainment the class of the characters was often key, only fools and horses, keeping up appearances, upstairs downstairs, downton abbey, and the list goes on where you could identify the class of the characters very clearly, and it was key to the entertainment.

Samssong is just repeating the oft heard, but never correct, complaint that equality or exposure for minority groups, somehow means that white, cis, hetro, males (although in this case he's not included only men) are somehow being discriminated against.

This despite the fact that structural advantage for that group still exists.

Worth noting that for some reason he's excluded the middle class from his complaint, they aren't mentioned in getting the special recognition of other minority groups, but since it doesn't fit his narrative, they aren't mentioned as being disadvantaged.

He also declares the white working class to be the unseen, unheard majority. I'd be interested to check the numbers and see how many identify as working class and how many middle class these days.

In fact, looking at the news this morning I don't even recognised the complaint, the news doesn't have anything about minority groups in it today. It has brexit, venezuela, trump, boat crash, someone shot in brazil, Oh, in the BBC I found that a bar that was previously a gay bar must re-open with some kind of gay bar like feature, that's all I can find... These minorities are hardly dominating the news are they.

Edited by Cyclone

White working class are on the tv constantly.

Sammy can't see that because the white working class he's referring to is himself. Someone who desperately wants it to be the 60s where we still go to work in a steelworks and buy broken biscuits from the (castle) market.

That's actually a subset itself. Why doesn't the tv ever show relics of the 60s buying broken biscuits and moaning on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about proper Sheffielders and rich people ( ie earning over 15k a year) are really so very unhappy that they too are not working down the steelworks and buying broken biscuits from the (Castle) market.

Yes. Why doesn't tv ever shown this? I just can't imagine Why???!!

Guest makapaka
Really. Get a grip.

I don't know what you mean - what do you disagree with?

I think the silent majority are just that. Keeping the head down and getting on with it. Any protesters always shout the loudest and get noticed more. It's not right but that's the way it works.

I think the silent majority are just that. Keeping the head down and getting on with it. Any protesters always shout the loudest and get noticed more. It's not right but that's the way it works.

Or perhaps the 'silent majority' don't have anything to protest about? I don't necessarily think that's true. Lots of people face injustices, marginalisation or exploitation. Perhaps it's about getting organised to get your voice heard. That's how change happens.

In the context of this thread, maybe the OP thinks that the working class as group have been marginalised in the media, and society in general. I think it's true that many working class movements have declined in recent years, and this decline is reflected in the media.

The media tend to go for the sensational over the ordinary.

I think it's such a broad area that the OP needs to be a bit more specific.

Edited by Mister M

Many people have no voice , they are not computer friendly , do not have access to forums , face book, twitter etc.

They are the ones ignored by the media, Government and the upwardly mobiles . This situation has happened before in Europe and South America and has often lead to the break down of society in those Countries.

It only takes a Leader who the underclasses see as speaking for them for the balloon to go up ,when this happens people who should have seen it coming wonder why it all went wrong.

Brexit and the election of Trump (no working class hero he but talks the talk ) should be the warning that to ignore sections of our population is a disaster waiting to happen.

---------- Post added 07-08-2017 at 15:14 ----------

Or perhaps the 'silent majority' don't have anything to protest about? I don't necessarily think that's true. Lots of people face injustices, marginalisation or exploitation. Perhaps it's about getting organised to get your voice heard. That's how change happens.

In the context of this thread, maybe the OP thinks that the working class as group have been marginalised in the media, and society in general. I think it's true that many working class movements have declined in recent years, and this decline is reflected in the media.

The media tend to go for the sensational over the ordinary.

I think it's such a broad area that the OP needs to be a bit more specific.

Just tried:)^^^

Edited by samssong