The irrelevant class.

I don't think there has ever been a golden age of when British 'working class life' has ever truly been represented on screen before in a concerted way. There was the 'Wednesday Play', and 'Play for Today' series of the 1960s and 1970s that produced some ground breaking films....

Actually there was quite a lot of major films late50's early 60's, that depicted working class life. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning ( which spawned Coronation Street) Room at the Top, Live Now Pay Later, This Sporting Life, The Angry Silence, The Family Way and many more.

Actually there was quite a lot of major films late50's early 60's, that depicted working class life. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning ( which spawned Coronation Street) Room at the Top, Live Now Pay Later, This Sporting Life, The Angry Silence, The Family Way and many more.

"All i'me out for is a good time al;t rest is propaganda" .

Good film , top author, brilliant actor .

Many people have no voice , they are not computer friendly , do not have access to forums , face book, twitter etc.

They are the ones ignored by the media, Government and the upwardly mobiles . This situation has happened before in Europe and South America and has often lead to the break down of society in those Countries.

It only takes a Leader who the underclasses see as speaking for them for the balloon to go up ,when this happens people who should have seen it coming wonder why it all went wrong.

Brexit and the election of Trump (no working class hero he but talks the talk ) should be the warning that to ignore sections of our population is a disaster waiting to happen.

---------- Post added 07-08-2017 at 15:14 ----------

Just tried:)^^^

I don't think Nigel Farage is at all a voice for the 'underclass'; but the media claim that he tapped into a complaint about immigrants that was said to anger people at the bottom of society: (perhaps years ago when UKIP were considered more of a threat to the other parties).

I don't believe that the media are any more interested in ensuring that the views of the underclass are heard than Nigel Farage is in representing the needs & aspirations of that class....

This is not a racist or homophobic or in any way anti any one thread, it is a genuine attempt to see if people think that the media is obsessed with minorities .

Every time we turn on T.V or read the daily papers it seems as though there is a new minority cause to be filmed ,photographed and championed .

The list is endless , Black pride, Gay Pride,The Royals, Sloan rangers,inner City Yuppi livers,sushi eaters and wine sippers.

While all this media frenzy is ongoing it seems as though the silent, unheard unseen majority in our Country are ignored and that is the White working class .

It seems as though the media has no interest what so ever in the ordinary working man and woman in our Country and the only headlines worth their salt are the ones that portray the latest minority in whatever the latest cause may be .

Are the ordinary Joe and Janet's among us invisible or are they just not interesting .

fed up of hearing about pride this pride that BLM this and that, just get on with it and shut up and then maybe people would accept more instead of them constantly attention seeking:roll:

The pride marches and celebrations exist simply because until recently people couldn't even openly admit to being LGBT. It's not attention seeking, it's bringing your attention to the fact that they still don't get treated equally.

---------- Post added 07-08-2017 at 15:52 ----------

Many people have no voice , they are not computer friendly , do not have access to forums , face book, twitter etc.

None of those things a) give someone a voice, or b) are required for someone to have a voice.

They are the ones ignored by the media, Government and the upwardly mobiles .

They are 'ignored' by the media because they aren't doing anything noteworthy to be reported on.

It's not an equal opportunities thing, the news is about noteworthy events (weather and sport).

They are ignored by the government because they've been tricked into voting conservative in the hope that they'll one day be rich and benefit from such a government.

If there is one 'minority' that it is really invisible it is the long term chronically ill. persecuted and demonised by the State, services removed by local councils, their social care often a mess, often neglected by families, they have it very tough.

Though, i agree with the OP to an extent.

If there is one 'minority' that it is really invisible it is the long term chronically ill. persecuted and demonised by the State, services removed by local councils, their social care often a mess, often neglected by families, they have it very tough.

Yes I agree with you.

A friend of mine looked after his elderly bedridden mother for over 10 years. He saved the state a fortune, and did this pretty much single handed for all those years.

He had to give up work to do this. Now that she has passed away, he is in his mid 50s, with a lot of health complications of his own (aggravated by his years of caring responsibilities), the DWP are harassing him into finding work, even though his own GP says his too not well enough to go back to work.

There will be hundreds of thousands of people like my friend who really have had it tough, and get little or no recognition.

Bang on sorry for the omission.

"All i'me out for is a good time al;t rest is propaganda" .

Good film , top author, brilliant actor .

"Nine hundred and thirty, nine hundred and thirty bleeding one" ha ha! Not sure of the exact numbers, but that line when he is tossing bike pedal spindles in a bin is hilarious and epitomised the boredom of working on factory production lines.

"Nine hundred and thirty, nine hundred and thirty bleeding one" ha ha! Not sure of the exact numbers, but that line when he is tossing bike pedal spindles in a bin is hilarious and epitomised the boredom of working on factory production lines.

They were bottom brackets :hihi:

They were bottom brackets :hihi:

Been awhile since I saw it, but think it was the Raleigh bicycle factory in Nottingham where that scene was shot. In fact I think all the location filming was done in Nottingham. No Nottingham accents though lol

Been awhile since I saw it, but think it was the Raleigh bicycle factory in Nottingham where that scene was shot. In fact I think all the location filming was done in Nottingham. No Nottingham accents though lol

I spent years after seeing that picture looking for a Brenda, (Rachel Roberts) when I found her the film came to life:hihi:. She is still here:love: