The irrelevant class.

This is not a racist or homophobic or in any way anti any one thread, it is a genuine attempt to see if people think that the media is obsessed with minorities .

Every time we turn on T.V or read the daily papers it seems as though there is a new minority cause to be filmed ,photographed and championed .

The list is endless , Black pride, Gay Pride,The Royals, Sloan rangers,inner City Yuppi livers,sushi eaters and wine sippers.

While all this media frenzy is ongoing it seems as though the silent, unheard unseen majority in our Country are ignored and that is the White working class .

It seems as though the media has no interest what so ever in the ordinary working man and woman in our Country and the only headlines worth their salt are the ones that portray the latest minority in whatever the latest cause may be .

Are the ordinary Joe and Janet's among us invisible or are they just not interesting .

Guest makapaka
This is not a racist or homophobic or in any way anti any one thread, it is a genuine attempt to see if people think that the media is obsessed with minorities .

Every time we turn on T.V or read the daily papers it seems as though there is a new minority cause to be filmed ,photographed and championed .

The list is endless , Black pride, Gay Pride,The Royals, Sloan rangers,inner City Yuppi livers,sushi eaters and wine sippers.

While all this media frenzy is ongoing it seems as though the silent, unheard unseen majority in our Country are ignored and that is the White working class .

It seems as though the media has no interest what so ever in the ordinary working man and woman in our Country and the only headlines worth their salt are the ones that portray the latest minority in whatever the latest cause may be .

Are the ordinary Joe and Janet's among us invisible or are they just not interesting .

What headlines worth their salt would you like to see?

What headlines worth their salt would you like to see?

Perhaps the 60 hour per week nurses , or the ex steel, building and mining workers fighting for compensation after contacting asbestosis and other diseases.

Maybe the local home help who goes beyond the allotted time allowed to make sure that her( his0 client is cared for , You know the ordinary Joe soap who does not seek the headlines but gets on with it without shouting to the World "look at me (us) we have an agenda.

Perhaps the 60 hour per week nurses , or the ex steel, building and mining workers fighting for compensation after contacting asbestosis and other diseases.

Maybe the local home help who goes beyond the allotted time allowed to make sure that her( his0 client is cared for , You know the ordinary Joe soap who does not seek the headlines but gets on with it without shouting to the World "look at me (us) we have an agenda.

That's why we are the silent majority,we just get on with it,i always say "it'll be reet".

Nope, not in the slightest. You just have a massive chip on your shoulder.

What are the so called "white working class" doing which is so interesting and of note to the media?

Those miners you speak of... Seriously? An industry that has not been active for at least 25 years. The ones who are in the majorty long retired or dead. They had their exposure or have you forgotten. You remember back in those days when they were all over the news and tabloids in the 80s? Ah diddums, not enough coverage for them. How about when they had their own documentary on the BBC? How about when they are still in the news today by repeatedly dragging up their pasts. Still not enough fame eh?

What about the docu-soap boom in the 90s. Hotel workers, airport staff, cleaners, shopping centre staff, cooks, cabin crew, cruise ship crew, driving instructors, builders, decorators. All had their own 5 minutes of fame and months trotting around the chat show circuit.

What about the "experts" boom of the 00s. Every muppet with their own toolkit or spade got a TV show. Dozens and dozens of makeover shows, property shows, gardening shows, decorating shows.All filled with white van men playing wannabe designers and presenters.

Now we come to 10s and we have reality show after reality show, talent contests, baking competitions, cooking competitions, arts and craft competitions and even sitting in a house competitions filled with those salt of the earth real people you claim are being unrepresented. The TV is full of them. Any spotty faced teen from Tesco is desprately seeking their gaudy MTV own show. Any Doris from the Canteen or Steve from the Garage who deludedly thinks they are the star of the pub Karaoke is now thrust all over our screens for weeks on end desprately seeking to be the next Shirley Bassey or Freddie Mercury.

Jesus christ, there has never been so much television filled with "real people" these days. Its what the broadcasters want because it costs them peanuts to make and brings in millions of advertising pounds.

Dont know what you have supposedly been watching but you need to open your eyes. Chip on your shoulder is an understatement.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Hey,I just spotted a gap in the market,I'm going to sell wine to the White Working Class.

Over the last 30 years or so there has been a growing awareness of the lack of equality in most spheres of life of people who in today's legal terminology possess on the 'protected characteristics.'

As a gay man I'm glad that since the 1990s Governments have sought to promote the equality of such minorities. People shouldn't be treated as second class citizens because of who they are.

It may well be the case that members of minorities are increasingly been heard in more of the media, hence their stories and histories are being told.

Quite separate from that is the diminution of what you term the 'white working class', and their role in national life. I don't know if you remember about 10 years ago, the BBC did a season of programmes called 'White & Working Class', in which members of that group were portrayed as racist, dim and to blame for their own plight. It left a bad taste in the mouth.

I think, up until recently, class was largely ignored by the media and politicians - perhaps out of ignorance, embarrassment or just viewed it as an irrelevance.

I think a number of related events changed that. The ongoing effects of the financial crisis have brought into sharp focus the differences between the haves and the have nots.

The Brexit vote brought a lot of comment that by and large those who were affluent tended to vote for remain, and those less affluent voted to leave. I think the division was so marked, that many politicians commented upon it.

Edited by Mister M

Hey,I just spotted a gap in the market,I'm going to sell wine to the White Working Class.

Good idea. Make it sound all flash and forin sounding. Lombona? Lambrini!

Guest makapaka

I'm just as aware of that than the other "minority" examples you mentioned before.

What is it you want - I don't get it.

I'm just as aware of that than the other "minority" examples you mentioned before.

What is it you want - I don't get it.

Pro celebrity whippet racing, No cash in the attic, Made in Pitsmoor - I'm sure all of them are just waiting for the green light from channel 5.

Guest makapaka

People moaning about white people being oppressed in 2017 britain......unbelievable.