Diabetic problem ??

Please see my 2nd post in the thread.

I have not asked for advice or how to manage the condition.

Nor do I want to draw lines between different Ts.

Again, again, just experiences re equipment availability.

My mum is a type2 and is controlled by tablets and she is able to get free test strips from her gp same as me as a type1.It appears to depend on who your gp is.My mothers blood sugars do drop below 5.0 and as low as 4.0 on rare occasions so if you are a type 2 and driving you need to be able to test your blood.Its a fallacy that type 2's do not get low blood sugars.If gp's are giving this advice then it is worrying.

T2 on tablets for more than a decade, I've never had a problem 200 test strips a month.

G.P very understanding, as I have multiple conditions and testing helps in management those too.

In addition my G.P recognises how I actively micro manage my health, in order to stay actively functional and working.

T2 on tablets for more than a decade, I've never had a problem 200 test strips a month.

G.P very understanding, as I have multiple conditions and testing helps in management those too.

In addition my G.P recognises how I actively micro manage my health, in order to stay actively functional and working.

Very true,if you do not know what your blood sugars are you cannot manage it properly.I have had 40 years plus as a type 1 and have had very few problems,i can still feel all my fingers and toes bacause i closely monitor my blood sugars to make sure of no long term problems.Withholding test equipment from diabetics is scandalous,wether type 1 or type 2.

Ok,, I did not ask for opinions as to whether people should or should not be provided with anything.

I asked if they are not.

Obviously that was a mistake.

Interest dropped.

This is a forum, you cannot dictate what people say in response to your query.

Very true,if you do not know what your blood sugars are you cannot manage it properly.I have had 40 years plus as a type 1 and have had very few problems,i can still feel all my fingers and toes bacause i closely monitor my blood sugars to make sure of no long term problems.Withholding test equipment from diabetics is scandalous,wether type 1 or type 2.

Many thanks for your reply, exactly what I'm looking for.

Hopefully this will be the case for everyone. It seems new Ds are finding that they are being denied access which is why I'm trying to gather answers.

---------- Post added 08-08-2017 at 13:34 ----------

It seems that CCGs are tightening the guidelines on some practices, lets hope Sheffield bucks the trend.

I myself was denied as a T2 in May.

---------- Post added 08-08-2017 at 13:36 ----------

My mum is a type2 and is controlled by tablets and she is able to get free test strips from her gp same as me as a type1.It appears to depend on who your gp is.My mothers blood sugars do drop below 5.0 and as low as 4.0 on rare occasions so if you are a type 2 and driving you need to be able to test your blood.Its a fallacy that type 2's do not get low blood sugars.If gp's are giving this advice then it is worrying.

Many thanks for your reply. The ability for motivated Ds to actively manage their D is on of my main angles.

Thanks again.

Many thanks for your reply, exactly what I'm looking for.

Hopefully this will be the case for everyone. It seems new Ds are finding that they are being denied access which is why I'm trying to gather answers.

---------- Post added 08-08-2017 at 13:34 ----------

It seems that CCGs are tightening the guidelines on some practices, lets hope Sheffield bucks the trend.

I myself was denied as a T2 in May.

---------- Post added 08-08-2017 at 13:36 ----------

Many thanks for your reply. The ability for motivated Ds to actively manage their D is on of my main angles.

Thanks again.

I should say My Pharmacist did question why I needed 200 strips a month, after explaining to them, they've not questioned again, I mention it to my GP who bluntly put it, if the pharmacist or anyone including any other GPs query it again, to tell them to speak with her.

it's active positive management of my health that helps with health professionals, I think if you just wait to be seen and expect to be fixed, its never going to happen, so many expect a quick fix is easy, it's definitely not.

People need to learn more and be given the tools to do so, but I have encountered other diabetics that know what to say and do in front of health professionals but do everything wrong with lifestyle, no exercise, bad diet etc.

It must be hard for GPS and health professionals to deal with so much failure, I can understand why they can be so resistant to people sometimes.

The sad thing is the amount of T2 that must be out there undiagnosed.

I should say My Pharmacist did question why I needed 200 strips a month, after explaining to them, they've not questioned again, I mention it to my GP who bluntly put it, if the pharmacist or anyone including any other GPs query it again, to tell them to speak with her.

it's active positive management of my health that helps with health professionals, I think if you just wait to be seen and expect to be fixed, its never going to happen, so many expect a quick fix is easy, it's definitely not.

People need to learn more and be given the tools to do so, but I have encountered other diabetics that know what to say and do in front of health professionals but do everything wrong with lifestyle, no exercise, bad diet etc.

It must be hard for GPS and health professionals to deal with so much failure, I can understand why they can be so resistant to people sometimes.

The sad thing is the amount of T2 that must be out there undiagnosed.

Absolutely, and very well put. Withdrawing Strips is a short term saving but false economy. This is what I aim to put to the local CCG.

Thanks for replying.

Ok,, I did not ask for opinions as to whether people should or should not be provided with anything.

I asked if they are not.

Obviously that was a mistake.

Interest dropped.

This is a forum, you cannot dictate what people say in response to your query.

Have to agree with that,bigbill you should happy that people are taking any interest in your thread at all without critisizing them for having an opinion of their own....

I have been type 2 for just over a year and to be honest i have never taken my blood sugar levels at all...My wife has been type 1 on two injections a day since she was 19 years old...she is now just over 66 years old, 47 years a type1..she takes her blood sugar levels 4-5 times a day and all her extremities are fine as well as her eyes which are checked once a year.She has never had any trouble with her treatment from the GP or Hallamshire and receives free test strips as well as updated monitors.Just to add she also has "Hypo Unawareness" and cannot tell when a hypo may occur any more...luckily i can...The only peolple who know how distressing a bad hypo is are the people who have to contend with them....to anyone one else they would just appear to be drunk/on drugs /having a fit/or just fell down......Maybe you should re-ignite your interest bigbill to see how others cope but i do agree with you and wish you well...:)

Have to agree with that,bigbill you should happy that people are taking any interest in your thread at all without critisizing them for having an opinion of their own....

I have been type 2 for just over a year and to be honest i have never taken my blood sugar levels at all...My wife has been type 1 on two injections a day since she was 19 years old...she is now just over 66 years old, 47 years a type1..she takes her blood sugar levels 4-5 times a day and all her extremities are fine as well as her eyes which are checked once a year.She has never had any trouble with her treatment from the GP or Hallamshire and receives free test strips as well as updated monitors.Just to add she also has "Hypo Unawareness" and cannot tell when a hypo may occur any more...luckily i can...The only peolple who know how distressing a bad hypo is are the people who have to contend with them....to anyone one else they would just appear to be drunk/on drugs /having a fit/or just fell down......Maybe you should re-ignite your interest bigbill to see how others cope but i do agree with you and wish you well...:)

I did NOT ask for opinion I asked whether people were getting required equipment or not. Personal opinions are irrelevant.