Diabetic problem ??

Bill, how do you control your type 2 diabetes, diet, tablets or tablets and insulin?

No offence to anyone, I did not intend this thread to be about how individuals do or don't manage their conditions, so, I won't go there.

Please provide info re availability of strips and meters if your finding them becoming less freely available. Also, waiting lists for DESMOND courses etc.

I will be pushing these issues in the local media, starting this week in The Telegraph.

There's a big difference between what you need as a type 1 or want as type 2. Without you telling us which type you have then it's not worth responding.

So, which are you?

My husband is type 2 diabetic. He's on tablets and insulin injections.

Everything he needs.... monitors, test strips, sharps bin etc is freely available from the GP.

He's never had any problem getting anything.

I am T2 for the last 20 years or so. Never had any testing equipment of any kind, and just take tablets. Reading the posts from other T2's there must be different variations of T2 Diabetis it would seem.

Angel1.

No offence to anyone, I did not intend this thread to be about how individuals do or don't manage their conditions, so, I won't go there.

Please provide info re availability of strips and meters if your finding them becoming less freely available. Also, waiting lists for DESMOND courses etc.

I will be pushing these issues in the local media, starting this week in The Telegraph.

But it does make a difference whether you are type1 or type2 to the answers you receive, there's a big difference between type 1 and type2 which is never usually made clear in the media.

As for the DESMOND courses I've never heard of that but I can recommend the DAFNE which is very helpful.

Edited by jaffa1

Please see my 2nd post in the thread.

I have not asked for advice or how to manage the condition.

Nor do I want to draw lines between different Ts.

Again, again, just experiences re equipment availability.

Both myself and my mother are type 2 she has insulin and I just have tablets. We do not have any problems with getting blood testing units or prescriptions for the test strips from our GP practice. In fact when a new updated unit comes on the market the practice sends us a letter to go to the surgery to collect.

Excellent Lingarth.

Current trend across the UK is to not provide them to T2s.

NICE guidelines say " Meters and strips should not be routinely provided to T2s" local CCGs are applying this as "routinely not provided" which I experienced myself in Sheffield.

There are huge cuts to NHS budgets coming through.

Well, the medication you are taking can have a bearing on if you can obtain strips or not. Not on insulin they can refuse to prescribe you with test strips. Type 2 just tablets no test strips, type 2 tablets & insulin yes they are supposed to prescribe test strips, these are the NHS guidelines. You wanted an answer to a question and without the full facts how do you expect anyone to give you a proper answer.

I think the salient matter concerning routine testing is not so much type1/type2 but whether the patient is taking insulin. If not, in most cases routine testing at, or prior to, routine check-ups will probably suffice enabling decisions to be taken about changing the amount or type of medication. If a patient is taking insulin, there is a serious chance of hypos and frequent, regular blood tests are essential to forsee and manage these. I do use insulin and have never had any problem getting all the necessary testing materials on prescription from my GP.

Ok,, I did not ask for opinions as to whether people should or should not be provided with anything.

I asked if they are not.

Obviously that was a mistake.

Interest dropped.