Leaked emails prove Veolia diverting recycling waste to incineration i

Saw this earlier on the STAG website today and was surprised its not bigger news. Went to see if there was anything on SF and nope... couldnt find it here either.

https://envirotecmagazine.com/2017/07/26/leaked-emails-prove-veolia-diverting-recycling-waste-to-incineration-in-sheffield/

The whole thing seems farcical. :loopy::rant:

I believe this was reported in the news a few weeks ago either in the Star or on the BBC regional page.

Its not surprising though as Veolia need to keep the incinerator running at a specific level to make it more viable, and they also sell on that heat to SCC and other commercial concerns. One of the reasons they were allowed to import and incinerate waste from other areas and had a 25 year contract awarded.

It's quite ironic really. Spend millions rebuilding / upgrading the incinerator to be more environmentally friendly, encourage more and more recycling so reducing the quantity of waste for the incinerator (nationally actually intended to reduce use of landfill) and then have to 'import' waste via un-environmentally friendly lorries from outside Sheffield.

There is the question of just how environmentally friendly the incinerator actually is and how toxic the smoke is; never mind the impact from the lorries bringing in the required extra waste.

I suppose those who do not recycle could, with a clear conscience (:huh:), say they are helping to reduce the number of lorries by keeping the incinerator topped up :loopy:

they also sell on that heat to SCC and other commercial concerns...

Do they need so much heat at this time of year?

Last time I checked people do still use hot water even in Summer. Besides, summer months in Sheffield are not exactly 'scorchio' are they.

Lets look at today's termometer busting tempratures of 18 deg with 12 deg through the night. Hardly baking is it.

Possibly not but they must also allow for demand and ramp up when necessary. They also run a turbine producing electricity that is fed into the grid.

.......... :)

---------- Post added 05-08-2017 at 15:49 ----------

Edited by spilldig

Veolia says that it's all rubbish.

That's literally true.

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 18:26 ----------

Possibly not but they must also allow for demand and ramp up when necessary. They also run a turbine producing electricity that is fed into the grid.

Surely the most-effective disposal of rubbish is the best solution? Recycling makes sense only if it's the best ecological outcome. For instance, is it true that all Sheffield's paper waste is put on lorries and taken down the M1 to Northampton? If it is, that doesn't sound particularly 'green'.

Surely the most-effective disposal of rubbish is the best solution? Recycling makes sense only if it's the best ecological outcome.

I agree. A lot of recycling is pointless but as recycling attracts subsidies its a common enterprise. Recycling benefits the recycle companies and rarely the consumer. Our CT contribution to waste disposal does not go down when people recycle either.

For instance, is it true that all Sheffield's paper waste is put on lorries and taken down the M1 to Northampton?

Not sure about that but it would be better just to incinerate it. As you point out recycling paper is not very green as it also uses energy and some nasty chemicals in the reclaiming process.

That's literally true.

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 18:26 ----------

Surely the most-effective disposal of rubbish is the best solution? Recycling makes sense only if it's the best ecological outcome. For instance, is it true that all Sheffield's paper waste is put on lorries and taken down the M1 to Northampton? If it is, that doesn't sound particularly 'green'.

I know for a fact that some waste paper is containerised and shipped oversea, mate of mine worked on containers and did this regularly

Re recycling, an expensive gimmick. I hear a lot of our recycled rubbish goes to the same tip as the general rubbish. So one of the bloke's who collects it says anyway.

Angel1.