AK47 £5 note with low serial number

Nobody is trying to confuse any one I am mealy staying that on a collecting basis the lower the number and the earlier the prefix is more collectable as with anything including Stamps and Coins, anything is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it. OK

I wasn't suggesting anyone was trying to confuse anyone, just that it would be a mistake to think people trying to sell notes for way above their face value was representative of what they could successfully be sold for. If you want to use eBay as a guide to the value of something look at the prices things successfully sell for not at the prices people ask for them.

The OP asked what a note was worth now, not what it might be worth at some time in the future.

Just got a AK47 006540 £5 note does anyone know if it's worth anything cheers

I will give you 10 (yes 10) shiny 50 pence pieces :thumbsup:

Ive got a JB 007 is that worth anything

A night out with Moneypenny:D

Significant numbers, eg, AK47. Notes with the serial number AK47 can fetch decent sums thanks to the assault rifle connection (they typically fetch £20 to £50, but some have sold for £100s). Weirdly, fivers featuring 666 seem to have fetched £10ish. Plus look out for blocks of numbers, eg, 123456, 111111, 222222 or 333333.

How to check if your new fiver’s worth £100s

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2016/11/08/check-your-wallet-some-rare-new-fivers-are-fetching-100s

For their value over previous weeks, just look at the sold listings on ebay.

Actually I think the sold listings are misleading, because this only shows the auctions where someone bid. I think people are trolling some of the sellers by bidding on their auctions with no intention of paying.

Here for example, £36 for one of the common AK47 fivers thats been through the washing machine ????

If you look at the completed items what you see are pages upon pages of auctions with zero interest.

I think that is more telling, there's clearly hundreds of these things up for sale which are of no real interest to currency collectors.

I'm sure there is a select batch of notes they do want, but the other stuff is just normal money.

Edited by geared