Clumber Park access

I've had reason to visit Clumber Park near Worksop recently, and find it quite odd why one access road has a National Trust hut with staff taking money from visitors, and is only open during certain times.

Yet there are other access roads which are always open and lead to the same places in Clumber, that don't have huts and staff taking money.

On top of this, there are a few valid reasons anyone can tell the hut staff why they wouldn't need to pay for access, which are readily accepted.

This doesn't make much sense to me, I suppose they make money from visitors who don't know about this but it can't be much... Is it really worthwhile having the hut at all?

I didnt know this, I thought that was the only way in. We always pay.

Which way do you drive in to avoid the hut?

I thought there was only the one way in. Which way do you go?

The main tree lined avenue is a public road, so there are no huts.

The huts to the "outer areas", on the private roads, are only manned at busy times.

Access to the center is always manned.

They have mobile attendants roaming the outer areas checking tickets and taking money from people parked by the roadsides etc.

You're lucky if you get away without paying or showing your membership cards if you park up.

Hope this helps.

Been quite some time since visited Clumber but these are the entrances I remember from the dim and distant past (and using google maps :) ).

There are 2 entrances from B6034 (Ollerton Road) via Clumber Road and via Limetree Avenue (at Carburton crossroads).

There used to be 2 entrances off the A57 (from Mantonwood Business Park to A1) but these may now be blocked and only allow pedestrian access.

There used to be 3 entrances off Blyth Road (A614 - from off A57/A1 roundabout) - Limetree Avenue (a big arched gateway), used to be 2 entrances about opposite what is now called Clumber Park Hotel (one of these looks like pedestrian access only).

Spent many happy hours in Clumber :)

They have mobile attendants roaming the outer areas checking tickets and taking money from people parked by the roadsides etc.

You're lucky if you get away without paying or showing your membership cards if you park up.

Hope this helps.

Ah, didn't realise this. But then I haven't had cause to park by the roadside, always passing through or stopping at the caravan club site. :thumbsup:

You can park up for free at the transport cafe on the South side and bike/walk in

There are also lay-bys on the main roads to park on, there's plenty of pedestrian routes into the park.

Park is free to cycle in and out of. I cycle in from Maltby (16 miles)

£7 is pricey for parking I think. I've paid less for a day's parking at Manchester Airport

Clumber Park charges have changed this year, so you are a bit misguided.

No more 'per car' charges, hence no free cyclists/pedestrians.

All adults pay £3.50.

All adults pay £3.50.

Which in many cases makes it £7 per car.

OOH i remember going to cucumber park as a nipper

Funny that

I cycled through there a few weeks ago past the staff at the main gates, never got asked for any money.

All adults pay £3.50.

why anyone would pay that is beyond me, there are hundreds of square miles that are free in the peaks