Ladies born in the 1950's - Pensions

I too am affected by this change in pensions for women.Born in 1954 ,I worked all my life with a few years break to have children and gave up work 8 years ago to look after grandchildren to allow my daughters to go back to work.Thinking when they started school I would be 60 and would receive a state pension,WRONG!My pension was moved on six years with not so much as a letter from them to say this!Had I known about this happening I might not have given up work as it will be difficult to get employed now that I am 63.the government have given no thought about this and could have done it gradually to my age group,say make it 61 then those born the year after 62 and so on.

I have worked out that the government have done me out of around £30,000 pounds in pension money and that's just me,money I have paid national insurance all my life to give me a pension at 60,it's a joke!

I read on the UK Gov. website many years ago that they were going to raise the pension age for women to the same as men and graduate it one year at a time, which is what you are saying they should have done. Well to the best of my knowledge, this is exactly what they did do. So now, the " inequality " is gone and equality has arrived. Isn't equality what women everywhere have been fighting for , seems like forever?

Giraffelegs - the government did phase it in gradually, starting with those born in 1950. For you to have received pension at 61 years of age you would have had to be born in 1951. These changes were well publicised and it has always been very easy to get a pension forecast so it is odd that the information seems to have come as a surprise to so many people.

The government have had to do something about pensions because there are so many old people. Many are now living a long time past retirement age, some as much as 30+ years and they can make heavy demands upon health and social services. Younger working people cannot be expected to shoulder all of the burden.

Edited by Jomie

I read on the UK Gov. website many years ago that they were going to raise the pension age for women to the same as men and graduate it one year at a time... Well to the best of my knowledge, this is exactly what they did do.

I think that's what they *didn't* do - they suddenly speeded it up. And I get the impression it was one of those 'bury it on a bad news day' things, in that the speedup wasn't well publicized. So quite a lot of women who thought their retirement age had been raised one or two years (as per the equalization plan) suddenly found out that it's actually 5 or more years.

I think that's what they *didn't* do - they suddenly speeded it up. And I get the impression it was one of those 'bury it on a bad news day' things, in that the speedup wasn't well publicized. So quite a lot of women who thought their retirement age had been raised one or two years (as per the equalization plan) suddenly found out that it's actually 5 or more years.

^^^^ Exactly !! ^^^^

Which is what I was saying,thank you chriscalcite,it was not gradual for people in my age group!

Which is what I was saying,thank you chriscalcite,it was not gradual for people in my age group!

Sorry, I had no idea there had been a double cross on this matter. Bloody politicians.

I seem to have copped it differently, at both ends.

Born at the end of 1952, i didn't get a pension until I was nearly 63, but I get (and always will get) the old rate of £113 instead of the new rate of £150.(I miss out on the new rate by 3 months.) Over 20 years that means I will have lost out on nearly £40,000 without even considering what I will have lost in starting a pension 3 years late, (a further £17,000+)

I seem to have copped it differently, at both ends.

Born at the end of 1952, i didn't get a pension until I was nearly 63, but I get (and always will get) the old rate of £113 instead of the new rate of £150.(I miss out on the new rate by 3 months.) Over 20 years that means I will have lost out on nearly £40,000 without even considering what I will have lost in starting a pension 3 years late, (a further £17,000+)

I don't get that, how come a new retiree gets 37 quid more than you do? Did they raise the contributions a lot in recent years?

Changing it gradually would have made more sense say 2 years at a time.

I don't get that, how come a new retiree gets 37 quid more than you do? Did they raise the contributions a lot in recent years?

The new rate (£150 pw) started in March 2016.

Anyone born before that is on the old rate (£113 pw)

David Cameron lied when he said nobody would be any worse off because the difference would be made up with pension credit. That's not true. You can't get pension credit if you have a personal pension, (which you've already paid for yourself.)

Changing it gradually would have made more sense say 2 years at a time.

At the outset they said they were graduating it a year at a time. By the sound of posters on here, they spoke with a forked tongue. Mind you I have my own beef with UK Govt. We have no agreement in Canada to index link our UK pension i.e. I get a 46% UK pension as it was in 2010 and it will never go up. This was Thatcher's doing. The Canadian side did everything they could but she couldn't be arsed to change it. Almost all countries world wide where ex-pats live get the annual increase, but not Canada which actually was developed by Britain and still has the Queens head on a 20 dollar bill.