Ladies born in the 1950's - Pensions

Hi I have just started a sheffield group on facebook to share information about the waspi campaign for women born in the 1950's who have had their state pension age increased despite working and paying in all their lives to recieve their pension ate the age of 60. Please search "sheffield waspi" on facebook, and consider joining to support Sheffield Waspi women in their fight for fairness.

Hi I have just started a sheffield group on facebook to share information about the waspi campaign for women born in the 1950's who have had their state pension age increased despite working and paying in all their lives to recieve their pension ate the age of 60. Please search "sheffield waspi" on facebook, and consider joining to support Sheffield Waspi women in their fight for fairness.

I,m not on Facebook but my wife is one of these and its really hit her,from 60 to 66 is one hell of a jump so good luck.

It doesn't just affect 1950's women, I was born in 1963 and am in the same position, but I have to wait until I am 67, what about me?.

The problem is, we never thought as far as retirement when we were in our 30's or 40's, we just thought we would retire at 60 like women before us and that was that. Until fairly recently, there was no such thing as private pensions for women like me. I don't buy that the government sent out letters years ago, informing us of the impending change, I certainly never received one.

I have always worked since leaving school and will have worked for 50 years by the time I can retire, how is that fair?. When we get to 66 or 67, most of us will have some ailment or other associated with age meaning we can't work anyway.

Let the people that want to carry on working do so but let us that don't, retire and enjoy what's left of our lives while we still can and give the jobs to the young ones who have never worked and let them earn their pensions like we had to do.

Sorry for the rant but this just isn't right, making pensioners work until they drop.

The WASPI women are slightly different in that when the proposed change to the pension age for women was announced in 1995 they were given an earlier retirement date. The date was subsequently pushed back in 2011 to the age of 66/67.

The WASPI women are slightly different in that when the proposed change to the pension age for women was announced in 1995 they were given an earlier retirement date. The date was subsequently pushed back in 2011 to the age of 66/67.

It would have gone down better if the retirement age was put up steadily,say in 2 year periods,thing is all these women what wanted equal rights finished up with the bad things as well.

Not wanting to seem in sensitive on this matter, but why should women retire 5 years earlier than men, in the first place? After all,

it is common knowledge that women live longer than men anyway.

Over here, in North America it has always been the same retirement age for both sexes i.e. 65 , soon to be raised to 66 or 67. Personally I worked until I was 69, however, my wife ,who is considerably younger has to wait another 5 years to receive a pension as she is barely 60, and this has always been the case over here, at least to the best of my knowledge.She was born in the 50's just like the OP, by the way.

Edited by TORONTONY

If you are a lady born in the 1950's who has had their pension age increased and are angry about this, please consider joining the Sheffield branch of WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality). We have been in the news frequently recently and are campaigning for the government to make financial provision for those women born in the 1950's who are affected by this. If you are interested in joining us please pm me, or just come to our next meeting which is on 22nd August at The Sheffield Foyer, 2 Spring Lane, S2 2JQ.

Edited by WASPIsheff

Shame that you can't get the name of your organisation right.

It is Women Against State Pension Inequality.

Thank you very much, you are quite right, I stand corrected!!!

Shame that you can't get the name of your organisation right.

It is Women Against State Pension Inequality.

Awww how sweet :rolleyes:

what age have they changed from 1950?are the mens changed?

I too am affected by this change in pensions for women.Born in 1954 ,I worked all my life with a few years break to have children and gave up work 8 years ago to look after grandchildren to allow my daughters to go back to work.Thinking when they started school I would be 60 and would receive a state pension,WRONG!My pension was moved on six years with not so much as a letter from them to say this!Had I known about this happening I might not have given up work as it will be difficult to get employed now that I am 63.the government have given no thought about this and could have done it gradually to my age group,say make it 61 then those born the year after 62 and so on.

I have worked out that the government have done me out of around £30,000 pounds in pension money and that's just me,money I have paid national insurance all my life to give me a pension at 60,it's a joke!