The Mind Charity Shop Devonshire Street

I moved house a couple of months ago and have been donating sacks of items, averaging a sack a week to this shop. I bought a top for my son last week

and as with all secondhand clothes, i removed the tag and washed it before letting him wear it. It was far too small so i returned it to the shop. They refused to refund it as i had removed the tag although i had the tag and receipt as proof of purchase. I respect your need to follow procedures but i will now be taking my donations to another charity shop.

I moved house a couple of months ago and have been donating sacks of items, averaging a sack a week to this shop.

Aren't charity shops fantastic? Glorified dumping grounds for our junk. Makes moving house allot easier!

By law they don't have to allow you to return unwanted goods, this goes for any physical shop. Different rules apply for distance sales.

A shop can offer a return policy that goes above your statutory rights. If they do they can choose to apply terms such as items need to be returned with tags on and within X number of days.

By law they don't have to allow you to return unwanted goods, this goes for any physical shop. Different rules apply for distance sales.

A shop can offer a return policy that goes above your statutory rights. If they do they can choose to apply terms such as items need to be returned with tags on and within X number of days.

This may be true but there is such a thing as a good will gesture.

This may be true but there is such a thing as a good will gesture.

Yes emphasis there on GOODWILL. As in discretion, they don't have to. They could if they are feeling nice. And that's assuming they are allowed to. Store policy may well be set by head office and there is no discretion (goodwill).

And this is a charity shop, if I was the OP I would suck it up.

Yes emphasis there on GOODWILL. As in discretion, they don't have to. They could if they are feeling nice. And that's assuming they are allowed to. Store policy may well be set by head office and there is no discretion (goodwill).

And this is a charity shop, if I was the OP I would suck it up.

Agreed......then go elsewhere.

Ive been volunteering in a charity shop for a couple of years. It's a charity we (husband and i) support, and I enjoy having the opportunity to put my working head on in retirement!

However, I've been surprised at some of the 'donations'! As Puggie says, some people use them as dumping grounds. Dirty and stained clothes, bedding and towels, broken or chipped crockery, worn out shoes etc. Why? The charity shop cant sell them.

Ive been volunteering in a charity shop for a couple of years. It's a charity we (husband and i) support, and I enjoy having the opportunity to put my working head on in retirement!

However, I've been surprised at some of the 'donations'! As Puggie says, some people use them as dumping grounds. Dirty and stained clothes, bedding and towels, broken or chipped crockery, worn out shoes etc. Why? The charity shop cant sell them.

I thought that stuff like that was bagged up and sold as rags? I used to work in a charity shop where that happened. That's why I still bag up my not so good clothes because I thought they could at least sell them for rags. Maybe I shouldn't?

I thought that stuff like that was bagged up and sold as rags? I used to work in a charity shop where that happened. That's why I still bag up my not so good clothes because I thought they could at least sell them for rags. Maybe I shouldn't?

Yes, clothes that can't be sold in a shop are usually sold (by weight) for recycling. They should still be clean though.

Oh OK, well yes there are clean but they might still be stained (if the stain won't come out and I know its going for rags I don't make effort with removing) or maybe with holes in so therefore not saleable as is.

Yes, clothes that can't be sold in a shop are usually sold (by weight) for recycling. They should still be clean though.

Agreed.

This short clip from a TV show a while back shows the sort of problems shops face when people use them as a makeshift dump site.

I believe there are companies will buy fabrics for recycling, so if charity shops can't be arsed there's the answer.