Another WMC closes.

The decline started with the introduction of the stupid smoking ban . why would people go and pay through the nose for a pint when they cant have a smoke , when they can buy it cheap as chips from the supermarket and have a beer and a smoke at home. ?

---------- Post added 05-08-2017 at 15:22 ----------

Too many pubs have been ruined by becoming " family " pubs where htey let kids in. No one wants top go for a pint in a boozer full of screaming little brats . kids should not be allowed in Alehouses .

Which is cobblers tbh i worked in the wmc's before the ban and they were on the decline then in a big way. They were grabbing at everything to bring in spending punters.Out of the 8 i worked at solidly over 3 years, the only two surviving are at Swinton and Gleadless. I've got music cd's stored that still reek of cigarette smoke and i haven't taught in a wmc for nearly 15 years.

The decline started with the introduction of the stupid smoking ban.

Not even remotely true.

http://www.conservativehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/160209-Decline-of-the-pub.png

Smoking was banned in 2007. That graph stretches back to 1980.

You might make a case that the rate of decline has increased since the ban but that is the second derivative and I'm guessing you don't know what that means.

And God forbid you should talk during the bingo !

You could hear a pin drop.

You do mean Tombola, of course LOL:cool:

Where was this club ?

In the North West

The problem with WMC's is twofold firstly they are the product of a bygone age and they mostly refuse to move forward. I'm the generation of the 90's and I don't want to sit around and play bingo and drink John Smiths Smooth and buy tickets for the meat raffle and worry about the politics of seating because Alf's sat there since 1968. If these places refuse to move on then its no surprise they are shutting. Why would I go? Theres nothing there to interest me.

That said there is a WMC near me and when I moved here 12 years ago I attempted to join. The guy on the door looked at me like i'd asked him if he wanted to walk to Mordor with me. You'll need to get someone to recommend you he said.

Like who I asked?

An existing member.

I'd just moved to the area, I didn't know anyone. How was I going to get an existing member to recommend me when I didn't know one? I explained all this to Gollum. He recommended I talk to the secretary.

Fair enough, where was he?

Not in yet, come back and he'll be able to sort something out.

I didn't go back. Its just too much hard work. All I wanted to do was have a few beers, maybe meet some people, spend some money. Why do they have to make it so difficult? Either they want people or they don't? Why have members at all? Its not about it being the last bastion of 'proper sheffielders' or a dying relic its about part of an industry thats dying on its arse because it stubbournly refuses to change