Clinton cards fargate

my main points is this company still trading? and were are the other branchs and why if our city is vibrant are these top of the range shops not being taken up by these leading organisations that operate in other citys?

I went in to worksop Clintons as I wanted some wrapping paper for a ruby wedding anniversary. I had avoided it as we have a card factory and I bought 2 lovely cards there for £1.49! (One for me to my aunt/uncle and one for my mum/dad to them). I also bought 7 cards for £1!!!! They were all generic happy birthday ones that would be great if I needed a card on short notice. They did not have any ruby theamed paper though. To my shock the wrapping paper was priced at £1.49 a sheet but reduced to 29p. I bought several different designs to keep in the wrapping draw. I did look at the ruby cards there and yes they were priced £1.99 + I remember when I only ever bought from Clintons.

my main points is this company still trading? and were are the other branchs and why if our city is vibrant are these top of the range shops not being taken up by these leading organisations that operate in other citys?

I don't think even SCC can carry any blame for a company this size

being in financial trouble

" Quotes from Retail WeeK"

"Clintons mulls UK store closures, job losses feared

13 FEBRUARY, 2017 BY BECKY WALLER-DAVIES"

"Clintons’ US owner is considering closing up to 120 UK stores, with hundreds of jobs at risk."

Edited by bazjea

You can get a decent Hallmark card from most supermarkets these days.

The rush to the Moor so as to appease property investors is leading to the down grade of the traditional shopping areas in OUR City .

Sheffield Town planners and there cohorts at the Council could not run a pith up in a brewery

I thought the Moor WAS once the TRADITIONAL shopping area of Sheffield City centre.

Typical - I was looking for somewhere to buy a 'sorry your store is closing down' card today - obviously first port of call is Clintons & it's not even there!

https://www.clintonsretail.com/about/stores

The website shows stores at Hillsborough, Meadowhall, Barnsley and Dronfield. Clearly the Fargate branch wasn't selling enough to cover the overheads which include rent, business rates and wages. It seems some of their other shops are still managing to do that, although there must be doubt hanging over many businesses relying on markets that are declining. Young people are far more likely to send multiple Facebook and Twitter messages for birthdays than send a card. The cost of postage doesn't help either.

Show off :hihi:

Don't think so. Just making the point that cards are available at good department stores, and M&S have some of the best prices around.

it will I am afraid be sadly missed by thousands,pity they couldn't move to the moor

I thought the Moor WAS once the TRADITIONAL shopping area of Sheffield City centre.

That was the Markets area , the rag and tag , Norfolk Market, Sheaf Market and Castle Market .

The Moor was a street that had two department stores , two or three tailors , butchers shops , drapers and pubs as well as trams and buses it was a continuation of London Road until some silly sods decided that it was a good idea to block it of with the monstrosity that now houses the Planners .

Planners my ase.

I think card shops are probably a thing of the past ..

Just as City/Town centre shopping is becoming..

Killed by Moonpig and facebook greetings

W H Smiths are slowly withdrawing from the high street too, and are concentrating on motorway services and train stations only.

Ditched Clinton cards ages ago. Over priced products, and found far better quality from little local shops. The last time I went in, I wasn't sure if I was in a card shop, a stuffed toy shop or a Yankee candles outlet. No thanks - not any more.