Singer Freddie Garritty passes away aged 65

it's not just the BBC, Chairboy, it's the "torygraph", too that are in error with his age.

PT

but with a birthdate of November 14th 1940, he could not possibly be more than 65, he would not have turned 66 until November.

I linked to the Telegraph's article about his passing, in my original post, as as you can see, I pointed out the discrepancy there, too.

PT

Dear oh dear Freddie Garrity as controversial in death as he was in life! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.45-rpm.org.uk/dirf/freddied.htm

I didn't want poppins berating herself when it is clearly an error by BBC who will now be receiving an e-mail.

Thanks for your email regarding the story about the sad death of Freddie Garrity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/5000396.stm

The journalist who wrote the story checked his age with Mr Garrity's agent, who assured us that Mr Garrity was in fact 69-years-old, and not born in 1940 as is stated in some of his biographies.

Hope this clears it up.

Regards

Mark McGregor

Journalist

BBC News Interactive

North West

Tel: 0161 2443126

Mob: 07977 005267

eeeh! i thought it was only we women that knocked a couple of years off our ages!

:o :O :o :O :o :O

PT

i used to deliver his papers when he lived in cheadle in cheshire. went i was young an stupid. wiser now.

I laughed at Garritty's antics as a small boy, and never realised that the ludicrous synchronised, intentionally pathetic dance movements of he and his 'Dreamers' were actually intended as lampoonery of Cliff Richard and The Shadows. Now, with that knowledge in mind , they seem even more amusing. I rather liked Garrity. He seems to have been a mild, unaffected type who did not take himself at all seriously. Certainly, he had more sense than many contemporaries, and wisely invested his money in an eight bedroomed mansion. According to the Telegraph's obituary, Garrity was philosophical about the waning appeal of his band post 1966 , in an era when psychedelia and 'serious' rock music was developing. Being well-adjusted and level-headed underneath the 'wacky' comic persona, Garrity realised that he would no longer have any more number One chart 'hits', and was grateful for any musical, television and theatre work which came his way. His was an ephemeral talent of derisory importance , and he knew it. How very refreshing in comparison to the likes of many of today's so-called celebrities- self-important 'soap' actresses who issue 'official statements' to the press as if royalty, egotistical pop stars who fancy themselves as saviours, and ugly, moronic 'Big Brother' chavs.

Like millions, I always assumed that Garrity was Liverpudlian. Perhaps the Irish surname and 'cheeky chappy' manner played a part? In the early sixties, practically everyone on television seemed to be from Liverpool. He was, in fact, a Mancunian. Whether or not he will be remembered alongside Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Morrissey, Happy Mondays and Oasis in the Manchester musical 'hall of fame' remains to be seen. His is not the first name that springs to mind re Manchester comic talent either. Nevertheless, in a small way, he made his mark albeit briefly. Practically everyone in Britain must have heard 'How do you do etc', even if it provokes an irritated or indifferent response from most.

R.I.P. Freddie.

I laughed at Garritty's antics as a small boy, and never realised that the ludicrous synchronised, intentionally pathetic dance movements of he and his 'Dreamers' were actually intended as lampoonery of Cliff Richard and The Shadows. Now, with that knowledge in mind , they seem even more amusing. I rather liked Garrity. He seems to have been a mild, unaffected type who did not take himself at all seriously. Certainly, he had more sense than many contemporaries, and wisely invested his money in an eight bedroomed mansion. According to the Telegraph's obituary, Garrity was philosophical about the waning appeal of his band post 1966 , in an era when psychedelia and 'serious' rock music was developing. Being well-adjusted and level-headed underneath the 'wacky' comic persona, Garrity realised that he would no longer have any more number One chart 'hits', and was grateful for any musical, television and theatre work which came his way. His was an ephemeral talent of derisory importance , and he knew it. How very refreshing in comparison to the likes of many of today's so-called celebrities- self-important 'soap' actresses who issue 'official statements' to the press as if royalty, egotistical pop stars who fancy themselves as saviours, and ugly, moronic 'Big Brother' chavs..

that's the difference, I suppose, between someone who is a true "star" and a "celeb" who is a legend in their own lunchtime.... freddie was down-to-earth, and "real"; he never seemed to subscribe to the "don't you know who I am!!!!??????" dramatics. he always came across as genuine, and unassuming, not spoilt by his fame.

Practically everyone in Britain must have heard 'How do you do etc', even if it provokes an irritated or indifferent response from most.

R.I.P. Freddie.

I found most of his hits catchy. they summon up memories of my childhood.

PT

I saw Freddie and the Dreamers at the Dial House in the sixties, they were really entertaining.My deepest sympathy to his family.