Why do poor people seem happier .

Agreed matey that Duke of Kent is a real sponger.

Shaking people's hands on royal visits isn't a job????:o:o

The latest neighbourhood to have been revealed as the happiest on God’s Earth was the Outer Hebrides. Apparently, its islands scored 8.24 out of 10 in the UK government’s national happiness survey.

A few years ago, Aberdeen was rated one of the three most joyful locations in the UK (in a survey conducted by the accountancy firm PWC).

Yet all the money is down South, so perhaps wealth does not make people happier.

Aberdeen is very wealthy, oil money.

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 09:00 ----------

The one thing about poorer people is that they generally don't have a whacking great debt called a mortgage to worry about. Which in turn leads to even more debt because people then have to have credit to buy stuff.

It would be a mistake to assume that well off people do.

They might. Or they might have paid it off years ago, or have bought houses with inheritance or just earned enough to buy them outright.

If a family is living on the credit card, then they can't really be described as well off can they.

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 09:02 ----------

Personally I haven't observed the phenomenon that the OP describes, perhaps it was just a couple of anecdotes and it's nothing to do with wealth, but more to do with who he was hanging out with.

Ironic OP coming from someone whose online presence is defined by non stop moaning about non proper Sheffielders, moving the markets and general disdain for anyone that dares to have any money.

If OP had his way we'd all be living in back to backs, having bread and dripping for tea and being thankful for it.

I have seen a few in my time that haven't worked for years calling people idiots for getting up for work, after they have had a few to many in the pub. I think the only stress these people had was getting back to the pub for the following lunchtime session.

Ironic OP coming from someone whose online presence is defined by non stop moaning about non proper Sheffielders, moving the markets and general disdain for anyone that dares to have any money.

If OP had his way we'd all be living in back to backs, having bread and dripping for tea and being thankful for it.

So this is just another example of reverse snobbery, he'd like to think that well off people are less happy, so that's what he sees.

So this is just another example of reverse snobbery, he'd like to think that well off people are less happy, so that's what he sees.

Of course. Thats his agenda. Lets be honest it's a distinct possibility that his little anecdote is a complete fabrication.

He will be saying fat people are happier next :hihi:

By gum lad, tha's got me of to a T.:hihi:

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 10:55 ----------

Cheers to my favourite forumer who as usual brings his expertness to all things that happen on Earth day by day ,hour by hour and!! on this forum even sometimes by the minute.

Any comment on the thread title would be appreciated:help:

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 10:56 ----------

He will be saying fat people are happier next :hihi:

Come to think of it :hihi:

See post #14, I did comment on the title, I don't agree that it's the case.

It's long been known that content of mind is worth more than all the material goods one could buy.

I think it's tragic almost verging on pathetic that most seem to spend the best years of their lives working and spending excessively ...for what? To create envy, jealousy, to show off, to pretend that they have left their working class roots - yet the very notion that material wealth can somehow make one middleclass is in itself a very working class ideology and demonstrates blatantly just how shallow these people are.

I've no time for "10 bobs" and their seems to plenty around these days....and no time for the bone idle either. But those in between who just get on with their lives and are both sincere and honest always get my respect..always.

I would agree with this statement, you have to be content, and happy with your lot. As long as I can keep a roof over my head, pop into a supermarket without worrying about the bill and not be in debt, I am mostly happy - life cannot be 100% perfect, but I am content with my lot in life.

Perhaps although to say that poorer people are happier than richer ones is a bit of a broad statement. Ultimately if you are of a happy dispensation then I suggest you'd be happy rich or poor and vice versa.

Although one way to look at it might be, that the more you have the more you can lose and therefore there is that worry that if you lost your job you'd not be able to find another job that paid as much whereas if you are on a minimum wage job chances are you'd be able to find another one quicker. A simple example.

I'd say that if you have enough money to not worry endlessly about making ends meet, you can afford your basic bills each month with a bit left over and have a bit in savings, then that's as happy as money will get you. If you have more money you won't be any happier but if you have less money you'd start suffering from not being able to afford the basics.

Perhaps although to say that poorer people are happier than richer ones is a bit of a broad statement. Ultimately if you are of a happy dispensation then I suggest you'd be happy rich or poor and vice versa.

Perhaps poor people are happy to take things as they come, day by day; where as a wealthier person needs the 4 weeks on costa-del what ever to be happy?